A teacher was praised as a hero on Friday after taking quick action to subdue a student shooter in his classroom.
People who knew Seaman, a former defensive end for Southern Illinois University, said his bravery came as no surprise. The girl was not named, and police said she was in critical condition at an Indianapolis hospital.
A teacher and a student were wounded Friday morning, when another student opened fire inside a middle school near Indianapolis. He tore his ACL playing basketball in his junior year, but after several surgeries he was back on the football field in August, his brother said.
Bryant Orem, a spokesman for the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, says the suspect is believed to have acted alone and was taken into custody.
"It's not surprising, to be honest", Jason Seaman said of his brother's heroics. "He always said that he was willing to sacrifice himself before he was willing to let anything happen to his students". It shows how dedicated he is to the students he teaches on a daily basis. As CNN reports, there are conflicting reports about how many people were injured in the shooting.
A police guard at the school responded to the shooting, and other law enforcement officers arrived within minutes, police said in a statement.
Jacob Long, an eighth-grader, said students throughout the school were crying in their classrooms while teachers took off their belts to tether doors.
"We need to get it right", Barnes said.
Two days before the Texas shooting, a student opened fire on a school resource officer at Dixon High School in IL, just outside an auditorium where graduation practice was being held.
"Approximately 100 state police officers have been made available to work with local responders and will offer all assistance needed".
Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb, flying back from Europe, said in a statement that he was monitoring the situation. She's an 8th grader and one of the 1,400 terrified students in the middle school.
Ella Whistler was identified as the second victim of at Noblesville West Middle School Friday morning.
Noblesville is in a suburb about 25 miles northeast of Indianapolis.
- Max Verstappen - I can't explain series of mistakes
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Only one age 33 playoffs even to compare to James
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Bale on bench for Real Madrid in Champions League final
- Chris Paul gives Steph Curry the shimmy treatment
- Trump demands 'total transparency' from Justice Department about Federal Bureau of Investigation informant