Searchers on Tuesday scouring a river alongside an historic Maryland town ripped apart by flash flooding found the body of a man last seen being swept away by the raging waters as it gutted shops and pushed parked cars into swollen tributaries.
Ellicott City saw unsafe flood waters tear through the area Sunday afternoon, prompting a flash flood emergency. Eddison is a member of the National Guard and former member of the Air Force, and was trying to help others escape the floods when he was swept away himself.
"He has not been located despite ongoing searches of the area", they added.
At a news conference on Sunday night (Monday NZT), Kittleman and Governor Larry Hogan vowed to help people rebuild their lives again. "They say this is a once every 1000-year flood and we've had two of them in two years", Hogan said. Emergency officials reported that at least one Ellicott City building has collapsed. Thunderstorms are in the D.C. -area forecast from Wednesday through Saturday, and Kittleman said officials are looking out for potential trouble spots around the area. That's in the same area devastated by flash flooding in July 2016. At the height of the storm, the water had risen above the first floor of some buildings, Howard County emergency officials said. Gas lines were shut down and a historic building fell, he said.
"We got a lot done today", Irvin said.
"Praying for the fearless veteran who has been reported missing following yesterday's bad flooding in Ellicott City", Hogan tweeted Tuesday. When the flash flooding receded, first responders walked through the ravaged downtown area, the main street strewn with debris.
Between 24 and 30 emergency rescues took place, including stranded individuals and water rescues.
- LeBron James prepares for most challenging Game 7 National Basketball Association
- Jalen Rose: Rockets, with a healthy Paul, would have toppled Warriors
- Warriors list Thompson, Iguodala as questionable for Game 5
- Ramos: petition for Salah tussle punishment draws 350,000
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Gets Disappointing Opening Day
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Harvey Weinstein accusers Rose McGowan and Asia Argento react to his arrest
- NFL Will Fine Players Who Kneel In Protest During National Anthem
- Memorial Day gas prices highest in 4 years