There has been a ton of reactions to USA network ABC's decision to cancel its popular sitcom Roseanne after its star, Roseanne Barr, tweeted a racist comment about former Barack Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett.
Hours after ABC axed her show for her offensive tweet about former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett - and quickly breaking a promise to stay off Twitter - the comedian was back on the social media platform. The 65-year-old actress has since apologized and blamed the sleep aid Ambien for her comments - while claiming she would stay off Twitter.
"Roseanne" was rebooted in March after a 21-year hiatus with Barr's character recast as a Trump supporter in a rare depiction of working class life on the USA small screen.
Despite Barr's effort to make the whole issue revolve around a single tweet, her Twitter persona has been vitriolic, conspiratorial, and racist for years.
Goodman was also asked about ABC's decision to suspend the show's Emmy campaign, a move the actor didn't seem too concerned with.
According to one conservative, "ABC President Channing Dungey had a long conversation via phone with former First Lady Michelle Obama before deciding to cancel the Roseanne show". "When I read her social media in the very beginning, and I saw how she was so into the conspiracy stuff with Donald Trump and so how far gone she was, and the "Pizzagate" and "Hillary is a pedophile" and 'Obama wasn't born here, ' she was, you know, a 'birther, ' and how insane that was - I just knew that this would not end well", he said. "I've been up there 12 times already and if I don't get one by now, I'm not gonna get one". They are reprehensible and intolerable, contradicting my beliefs and outlook on life and society, while his TV sister, Gilbert, called Roseanne's tweet, in which she suggested African-American Jarrett looked like an ape, "abhorrent". She also sent a politically charged tweet linking Chelsea Clinton to Soros. "It just shocked me a bit", she wrote. Some members of the cast may still receive compensation for the 2018-2019 primetime season, despite the fact that there's no script in the works and no episodes have been filmed. Michael Fishman, the third Conner child, condemned Barr's remark in a thoughtful statement, to which Barr responded that he "threw [her] under the bus".
She urged people not to defend her and said of her Jarrett tweet that she was "ambien tweeting" at 2 a.m. "And they are about to rue the day they knew me..." "I am exhausted of being smeared-over a stupid mistake erasing 30 yrs of activism".
- Namibia cancelled; Harry and Meghan's NEW honeymoon is at 'luxury alpine resort'
- Subtropical Storm Alberto to make landfall on Florida Panhandle within hours
- Ramos: petition for Salah tussle punishment draws 350,000
- Serena Williams, all black catsuit, make headlines at the French Open
- European Union to put a ban on plastic straws
- Shot Dead in Eastern Belgium, Officials Investigating Incident as a Terror Attack
- 'I hope this works,' Sask. premier says of Trans Mountain deal
- Starbucks closed this afternoon for 'racial bias education'
- ABC Cancels 'Roseanne' After Racist Twitter Rant From Its Star
- Egypt's Salah out for up to four weeks says Liverpool physio