The Photos app will use more artificial intelligence to help users search for photos, as well as share them with friends recognised in images.
The two technology giants have clashed over data in the past, with Apple chief executive Tim Cook calling Facebook's data use an "invasion of privacy", an idea Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg called "extremely glib".
Features in the upcoming iOS 12 software will let you manage your screen time.
Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering Craig Federighi speaks during the 2018 Apple Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) at the San Jose Convention Center on June 4, 2018 in San Jose, California. You can set limits on how long you can use apps, either individually or by category.
Yesterday Apple announced iOS 12 and eager users are already combing through the beta to see all the features Apple talked about and many they didn't mention.
The company is also clamping down on a technique called "fingerprinting" which allows advertisers to identify and track individual web users based on the unique way their computer is set up, including the device, operating system and fonts they are using. With Measure, you can measure objects or walls around you thanks to some new augmented reality tools from Apple.
The update comes as Apple tries to extend AR experiences to a broader population, rather than just hard-core, tech-savvy users.
Siri: Apple's not-so-smart assistant has a lot of catching up to do to reach the level of the Google Assistant and Amazon's Alexa.
"We think this is going to be helpful for many people, but especially for some kids", said Federighi while unveiling the app.
During Monday's annual parade of new products and software changes, Apple said it will start asking Safari users to opt-in to the people tracking Facebook does well beyond its own borders through the like buttons and Facebook-enabled comment sections that appear on a galaxy of websites.
During the on-stage demonstration of the new tools, Facebook was used as an example of a site asking to monitor user activity. It's also reminiscent of IFTTT, an app that connects various digital services with automated "recipes".
- Asus' upcoming 'ROG Balteus' mousepad will contain Qi wireless charging tech
- Facebook ‘not aware of any abuse’ of data by phone makers
- Psychiatrist in JonBenét Ramsey case among four people killed in Arizona
- Rumored Apple initiative to curb smartphone use sounds just like Google’s
- Syrian leader to meet Kim in Pyongyang, claims N. Korea
- United States defense chief Jim Mattis rebukes Chinese 'intimidation' in South China Sea
- Donald Trump will 'transform' North Korea after Kim Jong-un letter
- Microsoft acquires GitHub for $7.5 billion
- Sessions: DOJ Is 'Pleased' At Supreme Court's 'Masterpiece Cakeshop' Ruling
- Facebook gave Apple, Microsoft and, er, BlackBerry 'deep access' to user data