Rashford opened the scoring for England in their final World Cup warm-up game against Costa Rica in Leeds on Thursday night. It was a wonderful strike for the goal and he worked incredibly hard for the team.
But at Elland Road against a Costa Rica team all too happy to amass a 10-man barricade in front of Navas, the 20-year-old demonstrated how effective he could be from the first whistle and when dropping deep to collect the ball and run at opponents.
The match was the last for both teams before their World Cup openers, England facing Tunisia on June 18 and Costa Rica meeting Serbia the day before.
Southgate rang the changes after the hour mark as Dele Alli, Danny Welbeck, Kieran Trippier and Nick Pope were introduced for the home side.
Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live, Southgate said: 'Marcus is desperate to do well and we said to him and all the players we were expecting mistakes to be made.
That was the one decision Southgate has made that has drawn any criticism, with some arguing that there was time between the end of the season and the start of the tournament for Lallana to get fit.
But it's not as straight forward as that.
Southgate, whose squad fly to Russian Federation and their World Cup training base near St Petersburg on Tuesday, got what he wanted: a full house and a slick, tidy 2-0 win over a Costa Rica side who have the pleasure of Brazil in Group E and look like the poorest of picks in any office sweepstake. "And if you win one, you win more". That has helped break down some of the barriers that were apparent in the build-up to previous tournaments, with England's performances on the field providing further cause for optimism.
Bertrand played 40 times for Saints this season, whereas Rose featured just 17 times for Tottenham. Dier played that anchoring role against Nigeria and Henderson, wearing the captain's armband, filled it against Costa Rica.
"I played left midfield in a Champions League final for Chelsea".
- Apple to Fuse iOS, Mac Apps Making Developer Work Go Further
- Kate Spade, designer who built handbag empire, found dead
- Muguruza thrashes Sharapova to reach French Open semi-finals
- Macron, Trudeau support 'strong multilateralism' ahead of G7 summit
- Designer Kate Spade dead at 55
- Rose tells family to miss WC amid racism fears
- ZTE to pay $1B penalty in deal with US Commerce Department
- Say goodbye to IHOP and hello to
- Kerr upgrades Iguodala's status ahead of Game 3 vs Cavs
- Kate Spade items fly off virtual thrift shop shelves after designer's death