According to ABC Local 10 News, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission ordered a necropsy, or animal autopsy, on a 12-and-a-half foot alligator caught from Silver Lakes Rotary Nature Park. "Human remains" were retrieved from the animal, according to a Friday report from the Miami Herald, who cited authorities. News media earlier reported a caller told police he saw a gator drag a woman into the water as she was walking her dogs.
Divers are searching for her in the water.
As we previously told you, a witness told the police this morning he saw Shizuka standing near the water at one minute, and in the next she disappeared.
Myrna Bernard and her daughter Rachel Bernard, 18, live south of the pond and said alligator sightings are not rare.
Wildlife officials are assisting police in the search.
Law enforcement officers gather at the entrance of Silver Lakes Rotary Nature Park, Friday, June 8, 2018, in Davie, Fla.
Peter Limia, a commercial realtor who lives near Matsuki's home, said that after news broke of Matsuki's death, he and his neighbors gathered to share information they may have.
Police said one of the dogs had a large, fresh wound. Officials say she may have been snatched by the reptile while out walking with her dogs.
"This tragedy is heartbreaking for everyone involved, and our honest condolences go out to the family and friends of the victim at this time", the FWC said in a statement.
While alligator attacks are uncommon, they are not unheard of.
Between 1948 to 2017, there have been a documented 401 cases of alligators biting humans in Florida, and only 24 fatalities (there have also been fatal alligator attacks on humans in SC and Texas).
Residents in the area said that alligators were known to be in the water, and they wouldn't let their dogs walk without a leash because of this. The commission is aware of 401 people bitten between 1948 and 2017, including 27 killed, the report said.
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Twitter reacts to news of Anthony Bourdain’s death
- Macron, Trudeau support 'strong multilateralism' ahead of G7 summit
- Joel Embiid is already recruiting LeBron James
- Trump keeps G7 attendance short at tense summit
- Muguruza thrashes Sharapova to reach French Open semi-finals
- Meghan Markle's Buckingham Balcony Debut!
- 'Building blocks of life' found on Mars
- Max Verstappen - 'One more crash question and I might headbutt someone'
- Billionaire conservative United States donor David Koch retires