Suicide is "a tragedy for families and communities across the country", Dr. Anne Schuchat, the principal deputy director of the CDC, said in a statement.
Bourdain's death was caused by suicide. Alzheimer's and drug overdoses are the other two causes that are on the rise, according to Schuchat.
On Thursday, the CDC announced suicide rates in most states, including MI, have gone up 30 percent since 1999.
The CDC report, which was released this week, did not give a reason for the uptick in suicides.
"We don't have all the answers".
"Increases in suicide tend to correlate with economic downturns", she said.
There is a gender factor that really shows in this study.
- New figures show Minnesota's suicide rate has jumped in recent years. Middle-aged adults - ages 45 to 64 - had the largest rate increase, rising to 19.2 per 100,000 in 2016 from 13.2 per 100,000 in 1999. "There are many more people who understand than who don't understand". Dubbed the Werther Effect, it's very real. That age group also had the highest rate. Or for global folks, a list of crisis centers can be found here.
Jafary told us suicide is preventable, people just need to be willing to seek help, and if the individual doesn't want to, others need to step in. "So that's where educating and bringing about awareness is how we save lives".
The highest suicide rate from 2014-2016 was in Montana, where 29.2 residents per 100,000 people took their own lives. The United States has a total 25 percent increase, CNN reports.
If you are having thoughts of suicide then please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, at 1-800-273-talk (8255), or the Suicide Crisis Line, at 1-800-784-2433.
"But to make matters more troubling, while the numbers shot up, the federal government has back-burnered the crisis of suicide by flat-funding critical prevention programs and efforts aimed at reaching people during their darkest hours to try and rescue them", Schumer said.
"If you think about if you've ever broken something or had a bad migraine or gone through labor, you want those pains to stop but you know they're going to stop", she said.
- Microsoft and Sony are having huge sales for E3
- Soldier leads chase in stolen armored vehicle
- Trump keeps G7 attendance short at tense summit
- Twitter reacts to news of Anthony Bourdain’s death
- Unexpected: Simona Halep reveals her two biggest wins ever
- Bourdain hanged himself with bathrobe belt
- ZTE to pay $1B penalty in deal with US Commerce Department
- Kremlin floats Vienna as possible host of Trump-Putin meeting
- Sandra Bullock on Bonding with All-Female 'Ocean's 8' Cast
- Billionaire conservative United States donor David Koch retires