At Porsche HQ in Stuttgart this company is in the process of building a new paint shop and dedicated assembly area for the Taycan. The Porsche Taycan electric sports vehicle can do a 0-100 kmph sprint in well under 3.5 seconds and to 200 kmph in under 12 seconds.
But whatever name Porsche's first electric vehicle has, it still will be a big game changer for Porsche and, depending on just how well it performs in the real world and how much it costs, a big game changer for Tesla too.
The Taycan has been dubbed the "Tesla-slayer" by some automotive journalists.
The vehicle was known as the Mission E since the unveiling of the concept in 2015, but it was always known that the production version will most likely feature a name that works with Porsche's current naming scheme. Porsche says a four minute charge will be good enough to deliver approximately 100 km (62 miles) of range.
When fully charged drivers will be able to enjoy a range of over 500km, according to the NEDC test cycle.
The all-wheel-drive Taycan use two electric motors - one on each axle - drawing their power from lithium ion batteries mounted in the floor.
The Taycan is now tested in prototype form and shouldn't be much different from the Mission E concept, at least performance-wise.
The Taycan is expected to arrive in 2019 and start around $75,000. For comparison, the Tesla S can do 0-to-60 in under 3 seconds in "Ludicrous" mode.
The company also marked the occasion by revealing a 911 Speedster Concept, an open-top version of its iconic sports vehicle.
The company today also announced that it would double its future investment in electromobility by 2020, to the tune of $7 billion going into Taycan variants, further electrification of existing models, expansion of charging infrastructure, R&D into new technology, and the expansion of the production sites for all electric models.
"At Porsche, the vehicle names generally have a concrete connection with the corresponding model and its characteristics", the automaker points out.
- Sandra Bullock on Bonding with All-Female 'Ocean's 8' Cast
- Kremlin floats Vienna as possible host of Trump-Putin meeting
- Meghan Markle's Buckingham Balcony Debut!
- Kim summit: South Koreans hold little hope of success
- Max Verstappen - 'One more crash question and I might headbutt someone'
- Witness saw gator drag woman into Florida lake
- 'Building blocks of life' found on Mars
- Macron, Trudeau support 'strong multilateralism' ahead of G7 summit
- How to get help for someone who might be suicidal
- Microsoft and Sony are having huge sales for E3