Its opening tops Ocean's Eleven's $38.1 million, Ocean's Twelve's $39.1 million, and Ocean's Thirteen's $36.1 million, when not adjusting for inflation.
20th Century Fox's Deadpool 2 sliced its way to third place with an additional $13.65 million domestically, bringing its stateside total to $278.6 million; the movie still sits behind its predecessor by about $65 million.
But to freshen up the latest instalment, Warner Bros bid farewell to Danny - killed in 2018 in unknown circumstances - and replaced him with his sister Debbie (Sandra Bullock), who, like her brother at the beginning of the saga, has just been released from prison.
Thinking big, she first robs Bergdorf Goodman of all the perfume, lipstick and lace panties she will need, then lies her way into a suite at the Plaza Hotel and begins to recruit a team of seven other attractive crooks to carry out a scheme that would defeat Bonnie and Clyde. Together, they recruit a crew of specialists: jeweler Amita (Kaling); street con Constance (Awkwafina); expert fence Tammy (Paulson); hacker Nine Ball (Rihanna); and fashion designer Rose Weil (Bonham Carter). The film has received mostly positive reviews. Their target is the annual Met Gala in NY and a necklace worth more than $150 million.
According to ComScore, overall box office is up 4.3 percent year-to-date. That marked a record opening for distributor A24. Written and directed by Ari Aster the film stars Toni Collette, Alex Wolff, Milly Shapiro, Ann Dowd and Gabriel Byrne. After her mother dies, the Graham family starts to discover cryptic and terrifying secrets about their ancestry.
That demographic is expected to sustain the heist film throughout June, even as "Incredibles 2" and "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom" are expected to post $100 million-plus openings over the next two weeks. Jodie Foster and Sterling K. Brown star in the action thriller set in the near future.
- "Volcano of Fire" kills 69 people in Guatemala
- Kremlin floats Vienna as possible host of Trump-Putin meeting
- Billionaire conservative United States donor David Koch retires
- Joel Embiid is already recruiting LeBron James
- Muguruza thrashes Sharapova to reach French Open semi-finals
- Macron, Trudeau support 'strong multilateralism' ahead of G7 summit
- Talks with Trump are like sausages, says French President Macron
- Donald Trump: Top economies should drop all tariffs
- Soldier leads chase in stolen armored vehicle
- Kim summit: South Koreans hold little hope of success