The three countries presented a "United Bid" that promised to take football to a combined 500million people in North America and were awarded 134 votes to Morocco's 65.
"It's a bit emotional for us today", Carlos Cordeiro, president of U.S. Soccer, said after the vote. "Thank you for entrusting us with this privilege". The "United Bid's" organizing committee will now work in conjunction with Federation Internationale de Football Association to decide which cities will get games, although Federation Internationale de Football Association makes the final call. Mexico played host to the 1970 and 1986 World Cup.
Nigeria, playing their 6th World Cup, have only missed one of the last seven tournaments.
Guess who will be attending the Fifa World Cup as a personal guest of Vladimir Putin? There are three in Canada and three in Mexico. The winning bid listed 17 USA cities, including L.A., San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami and Philadelphia, as potential match sites; organizers will select 10 of those.
Not one of the four matches held in the 45,000-seater stadium will yet be played in front of a capacity crowd.
The distance between the most northern host city (Edmonton) and the most southern (Mexico City) is nearly 3,000 miles, which compares to 1,900 miles at this month's tournament in Russian Federation.
The FIFA Congress held its annual meeting the day before the start of the World Cup to vote on whether the US -led bid or the Morocco bid will get to host the soccer tournament. It's not clear how that would work with three countries as co-hosts.
"We hope that football lovers coming to Russia from all over the world will appreciate it as well", said the General Manager of 2018 FIFA World Cup™ Project of the Coca-Cola System in Russia Mickael Vinet.
Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal are Canadian candidate host cities for the men's soccer showcase, expanded to 48 teams for the 2026 tournament.
By the time the first World Cup ball is kicked in the United States, Mexico and Canada in 2026, MLS will be at least a 28-team league, and if attendance growth and salary spending growth continues at its current pace, the league should be at a point where it is ready to compete with any team in the Western Hemisphere, and most leagues in Europe.
- E3 2018: Anthem Full Reveal, Gameplay Footage, and Release Date
- The 7 biggest announcements from the first two days of E3 2018
- Bourdain hanged himself with bathrobe belt
- Supreme Court allows OH , other state voter purges
- Rafael Nadal demolishes Dominic Thiem on Paris clay
- White House Economic Adviser: Canada's Trudeau 'Stabbed Us In The Back'
- Trump trade beef with Canada: Former Canadian prime minister weighs in
- Kim summit: South Koreans hold little hope of success
- Donald Trump: Top economies should drop all tariffs
- North Korea: US will offer 'unique' security guarantees, says Pompeo