Ronaldo had only scored three goals in total in his last three World Cups, so managed to double his tally in one night here. His focus is fully on the World Cup, with Portugal's next match against Morocco in Moscow next Wednesday.
"To see yourself in the first game of a World Cup go behind to a penalty after two minutes, you have to have a good feeling after how the game went".
- Make your picks with ESPN FC Match Predictor 2018! He then calmly sent his shot to the right corner as De Gea went the other way.
Patricio is a very good goalkeeper who has played his entire professional club football career in his native Portugal.
Hierro was clearly happy after his first match in charge as his team showed they should by no means be written off.
"It is an error, only those of us who pull on gloves and go out on the field know just how hard it is".
"I've already said it and the decision is quite certain, you never know 100 percent what will happen but when I say something I usually follow through with it", he insisted. "The support they have given me, I want to return it on the field".
The Portugal players were furious that no foul was given as Costa led with his forearm into the challenge on Pepe, but the officials let the goal stand without feeling the need to call on the Video Assistant Referee.
Costa also spoke on Telecinco, saying he felt his team had deserved to take the three points given their domination of possession over the 90 minutes. That's what he's done today, "he said".
"Football is like that".
After accepting an €18.8m fine for tax evasion earlier in the day, Cristiano Ronaldo was hoping to quieten the critics in the curtain-raiser of his fourth World Cup.
Four games in and we've already had a 5-0 mauling, two late winners and a classic heavyweight encounter.
An increasingly dominant Spain did draw level in the 24th minute, though, with a goal that survived a VAR review.
In the second-half, the Spaniards upped the tempo and got themselves level for the second time, with Costa again getting on the scoresheet, this time after converting a Sergio Busquets knock-down from close-range. "It's very fortunate for whatever team has Cristiano Ronaldo". "We must focus on Iran", he said.
The teams arrived in Russian Federation as favorites to share first and second in the group, but the draw leaves them two points behind Iran, which defeated Morocco 1-0 earlier Friday.
- White House trade adviser apologizes for inappropriate comments on Canadian PM
- World Cup odds and matchups for opening week of action
- 'Wonder Woman' Sequel Shares Title and a Look at Chris Pine's Return
- Salah looking very good for Egypt’s World Cup opener
- France Ready to Accept Migrants From Aquarius Ship Amid Standoff With Italy
- Harry and Meghan's first overseas tour revealed
- Trump's `cultlike' grip on party keeps most members in line
- Russian Federation thrash Saudi Arabia to launch World Cup in style
- Ice man Ronaldo comes up with the goods yet again
- EU, UN urge Italy, Malta to let in drifting migrant ship