Trump's deeply controversial plan has earned criticism from other Republicans as well - but most of the elected officials until Monday afternoon had been the Republicans who'd already shown a willingness to criticize Trump in the past, like Sens. Former First Lady Laura Bush, in a Washington Post op-ed, wrote that "this zero-tolerance policy is cruel".
Getty ImagesMexicans walk along the U.S. -Mexico border fence on May 1, 2016 in Tijuana, Mexico.
Republicans in Congress and the administration have pointed to a 1997 court settlement regarding the treatment of immigrant children in federal custody for legal justification of the Attorney-General's new policy.
Secretary Nielsen tried to suggest the problem was with the Dept. of Health and Human Services, and not DHS.
The guide sheet adds, "DHS and HHS can take steps to facilitate reunification with your child (ren)".
Nielsen called on Congress to reform the asylum system, the United States Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008 and to pass legislation allowing the Trump administration to keep families together.
First lady Melania Trump said she hates to see families torn apart.
Nielsen said she was unaware of the photos, but she would look into it. Is this the best way to handle families entering the US illegally, seeking asylum? We operate according to some of the highest standards in the country. Pramila Jayapal met with immigrant mothers at a detention center near Seattle last week.
For one thing, when CNN reporter April Ryan asked Nielsen if the kids were being used as pawns in political games, Nielsen denied the charge.
Hours after Trump's comments, the White House issued a statement saying the president had misspoken.
Senate Appropriations Chairman Richard C. Shelby of Alabama and Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee Chairwoman Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia are scheduled to meet with President Donald Trump on Monday at the White House, a day before Capito's panel marks up its draft fiscal 2019 spending bill. "Don't wait until after the election because you are going to lose!"
The President underwrites this practice, and so does every single Republican in Congress who isn't calling for Sessions to stop prosecuting border crossing as a criminal offense.
As that argument plays out, others are urging a new attempt to address the root causes of mass migration from people who want to flee troubled or impoverished conditions in countries such as El Salvador to Honduras.
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Intelligence Report Says Trump 'Retreated' From North Korea Deal
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Melania Trump ‘Hates to See Children Separated’ at Border, Spox Says
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Argentina vs Iceland,1-1 Draw, Highlights, Watch All Goals Online
- Harry Kane header rescues England after wasteful display against Tunisia
- Fans React To Phil Mickelson's Controversial Move At Shinnecock On Saturday
- What Meghan's dad made Prince Harry promise before he blessed their marriage
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War