Donald Trump said on Monday he would direct the Pentagon to create a "space force" as a new branch of the United States military to shore up American dominance in space. It simply directs the US Department of Defense to begin planning for this new sixth branch of the military.
"We are going to have a space force", Trump said. He specifically asked Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford to oversee the process. "Because we can not get them to sign legislation, we can not get them even to the negotiating table".
Any new military branch would have to be approved and funded by Congress, some experts said.
President George W. Bush in 2004 said humans would return to the moon by 2020. "We must have American dominance in space", Trump said.
The Air Force declined comment Monday on the announcement, and neither Trump nor the White House provided additional details about the proposed Space Force. Even a temporary issue with those satellites would mean being unable to identify a launch with sufficient time to calculate its trajectory and launch kinetic interceptors - meaning all of America's elaborate overlapping missile defense systems could now be rendered moot by the orbital equivalent of shining a laser pointer on the lens of a satellite, and that's only one of the many facets of America's defenses that rely on satellites.
Trump's space policy does at least extend to NASA (you know, the nerds who actually study to improve our knowledge of space and don't just want to blow things up).
In addition, a number of federal defense agencies control portions of the space program, including NASA and the National Reconnaissance Office, which develops and operates surveillance spacecraft and satellites for intelligence gathering.
- Mark Knoller (@markknoller) June 18, 2018BREAKING: Trump announces he's directing Pentagon to create "space force" as independent service branch.
A USA defense official said the Pentagon would work with Congress to implement the order. Now, Guardians of the Galaxy fans are suiting up to take aim at the new Space Force. The Outer Space Treaty expressly prohibits establishing military bases or conducting military exercises on a celestial body as well.
Mr. Trump called out China and Russian Federation as rivals and vowed to beat them, saying: "We don't want China and Russian Federation and other countries leading us..." He was jointed by Vice President Mike Pence. "The essence of the American character is to explore new horizons and to tame new frontiers". It also would require the Secretary of the Air Force to increase the number and improve the quality of its civilian and military "space cadre", submitting a report to Congress on its plans by next March.
Twitter users also had problems with the idea.
Another guy had an idea how the president would sell the idea to the American people. "We'll save a little money and they can beat us and we're taking full credit".
- Mexico upsets World Cup champion Germany 1-0
- Salah not in Egypt starting line-up for Uruguay match
- David De Gea shock revealed after Cristiano Ronaldo ‘gamble’
- Next Move Is Trump's After China Hits Back in Trade-War Opener
- Australia coach Bert van Marwijk: Referee 'didn't know' about VAR call
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- Heat advisory issued for Monday
- Former Trump campaign chief Paul Manafort is going to jail
- Argentina vs Iceland,1-1 Draw, Highlights, Watch All Goals Online
- Reporter Compares Children's Immigration Detention Center to Jail