"I blame a lack of preparation because there obviously hasn't been any", said the 1986 World Cup victor.
Former Argentina football manager Osvaldo Ardiles is of the opinion that it would be an understatement to say that Argentina had a very poor first game. It's very worrying for what is going to happen later in the tournament.
But if Argentina themselves are embarrassed by such attention on their finest ever player, they will be also be red-faced by their stumbling stalemate with Iceland in their group opener today.
Lionel Messi and Cristian Ansaldi with the Argentina National Team.
"I hope we'd have some luck, so this generation can get the results they could achieve objectively", added the Croatian captain.
"Apart from everything else he sets a good example for all of us to follow".
It came just the day after Neymar had sung the praises of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, who are generally considered to be the two best players in the world.
"They [Argentina] have huge amounts of quality, but this win will boost our confidence and we will up our game", he said after receiving the Man of the Match award. They were hammered 6-1 by Spain recently, and coach Jorge Sampaoli has the constant problem of how to fit Paulo Dybala into the team.
The manager said, "It was a hard match against an excellent opponent". What a wonderful match.
"To save a penalty in the first game of the World Cup is like a dream scenario".
In Argentina's 8 games against Nigeria, the African team has won twice, tied once and lost 5. "Probably even in Superman, even in super players, they are humans, they have feelings and I think the penalty [miss] affected him". He certainly has to, but Argentine legend Hernan Crespo explains why we could see Messi struggle once again in Russian Federation.
- Sarah Sanders pressed on IG report, family separation at border
- Fans React To Phil Mickelson's Controversial Move At Shinnecock On Saturday
- Reporter Compares Children's Immigration Detention Center to Jail
- Salah not in Egypt starting line-up for Uruguay match
- WC 2018: Five star Russia dispatch Saudi Arabia
- Harry Kane header rescues England after wasteful display against Tunisia
- Next Move Is Trump's After China Hits Back in Trade-War Opener
- David De Gea shock revealed after Cristiano Ronaldo ‘gamble’
- Australia coach Bert van Marwijk: Referee 'didn't know' about VAR call
- Ex- film director Iceland goalkeeper explains how he saved Messi's penalty