YEKATERINBURG, Russia - Uruguay won its opening match at the World Cup for the first time in 48 years, getting an 89th-minute goal from defender Jose Gimenez in a victory over Egypt in Group A on Friday.
"When the draw comes, we had two options: we change our goal because the group is so hard, or we keep the same hope and to play and fight for a chance to win the second round".
Instead, Iran matched their opponent's high tempo, canceling the game out and turning the match into a defensive affair that allowed Team Melli to steal three points late.
In injury time own goal scored by Azis Bouhaddouz.
Nike will not be supplying the Iranian national soccer team with any gear throughout the World Cup, as the United States government recently reinstated its trade sanctions against the Middle Eastern country.
Thanks to the results in the other match of group b, Iran went top of our group. Following Nike's withdrawal of footwear supply to Iranian players however, Iran once again gained attention with its victory at the opening match against Morocco.
Check out the brand new daily JOE World Cup Minipod hosted by Dion Fanning and Paddy McKenna featuring a very sad Salah, the high-powered hosts are heading to the last 16 and English pundits are up for a scrap. Despite his controversial score against his own team, Aziz Bouhaddouz can count on the support of his fans, and moreover, on the surprising support of some members of Iran's 2018 World Cup team.
"Against Spain, everyone from the goalkeeper to the striker can create things so we have to think of a different strategy".
"That's why, when you play for your country, you have to play with guts, with heart because that's what people want to see". In a way, Queiroz's team can take a chance against Spain in Kazan on Wednesday. "We have to just analyze the game and hopefully we can do something good".
- Former Trump aide ordered to jail after bail revoked
- Brooks Koepka wins second straight U.S. Open
- Brazil 1 - 1 Switzerland...Neymar Kept Quiet As Brazil Drop Points
- Harry Kane header rescues England after wasteful display against Tunisia
- Canadian senate clears cannabis legalisation
- Britain's May pledges US$26.6 billion extra for healthcare post-Brexit
- Lucky Spain top Group B after win against Iran
- What Meghan's dad made Prince Harry promise before he blessed their marriage
- World Health Organisation Classifies Gaming Addiction as a Mental Health Disorder
- Young Super Eagles earning their World Cup wings