Meantime, Brazilian-born defender Thiago Cionek became the first Polish player to score an own-goal at a World Cup when he deflected a goal-bound effort into his own net to give Senegal a lead they never relinquished.
Speaking to the BBC, a Japanese sports journalist said that it is a part of Japanese culture. Meanwhile, the team's fans were winning hearts elsewhere in the stadium, taking it upon themselves to clean the stands before celebrating properly.
He said: "You often hear people say that football is a reflection of culture".
"He also couldn't score last World Cup and I knew he really wanted to score this game".
Japan has also been getting in on the action and scoured the stadium, row by row, to ensure the Mordovia Arena in Saransk was clean.
Akihito, now 84, will be the first emperor to retire in more than two centuries in a royal family that traces its lineage back more than 2,600 years. "We were hoping to start with a victory".
Colombia coach Jose Pekerman reacts after his team lost their match against Japan on Tuesday.
Though Colombia too qualified for their straight second World Cup berth despite going win-less in their final four qualifying matches, they had a good record over Japan going into the opener.
On Wednesday, Uruguay fans joined the fun with El Pais posting a video on social media of fans cleaning up their area after La Celeste's 1-0 victory over Saudi Arabia in Rostov.
Japan and Senegal are top of Group H on three points each, with Poland and Colombia to meet in search of their first points.
Japan coach Akira Nishino talked before the match of his worry about the "psychological impact" of Monday's natural disaster which hit the Japanese city of Osaka during morning rush hour, killing at least five people.
- Mexico dreams big at World Cup after beating Germany
- Zendaya Stuns in Second Red-Hot Look at MTV Movie & TV Awards 2018!
- Lucky Spain top Group B after win against Iran
- ESPN’s Doris Burke says LeBron wants to play off the ball more
- Last gasp England win breaks 2018 TV record
- Oppo found a really creative way to kill the smartphone 'notch'
- Bolton to Visit Moscow, Plan Possible Trump-Putin Meeting
- Trump to sign executive order to end family separations at the border
- Supreme Court Rules On Gerrymandering In Wisconsin And Maryland
- 'Ronaldo Now On A New Level, Above Messi'