The US government said it still had 2,053 children in its custody who were separated from their parents under President Donald Trump's "zero tolerance" immigration policy, and set out its most detailed plans yet on how it would reunite families.
However, as Trump boarded her private jet, she was seen wearing a jacket that came with the phrase "I Really Don't Care".
The social media ire was also well noticed by POTUS who referred the "don't care" phrase to media, which, in his opinion was "Fake News Media".
The show cut to a clip of the first lady saying she planned to figure out how she could help the kids who were detained.
Clark said what she saw while at a border security station in McAllen, Texas, was troubling.
And from there, Meghan went on to denounce the jacket's apathetic message.
"It's the first thing that made me really not like her", McCain later said.
"The jacket Melania Trump wore to visit caged immigrant children", one user tweeted.
In the end, Trump gave in and issued an executive order ending family separation.
Post her visit to Texas immigration centre, Melania tweeted, "Today's visit to #Texas to spend time with children & thank the many hardworking individuals helping to care for them was very meaningful".
The mainstream media - so predictably - pounced on the message on her jacket.
'Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!,' said the U.S. president as he took to his traditional mode of communication - Twitter. The idea that USA authorities were removing children from their parents and caging them in detention centers drew a backlash so potent that it drove Trump to sign an executive order this week ending separations.
The Twitter outcry throughout the day was swift, with many appalled at what seemed to be an ill-conceived - if unintentional - message when she was traveling to visit migrant children separated from their parents. She said she started crying when the two were reunited and that she's never going to be away from him again.
- Supreme Court rules states can collect sales tax for online purchases nationwide
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Panama defender Cummings fires warning to England
- Hundreds protest Trump immigration policy at Allen County Courthouse
- Trump supporters steadfast despite the immigration uproar
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- With a billion users, Instagram takes on YouTube in video
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Trump to sign order to address family separations
- Bavarians offer respite in migrant plan row with Merkel