Jan Bednarek scored the lone goal in a 1-0 win over Japan that wasn't enough to lift an otherwise hapless Poland team off the bottom of Group H.
Japan and Senegal finished the group stage tied in points, goal differential, and goals-for, plus they tied in their only match against each other.
The center back won Group H for Colombia, with a 74th minute goal.
Check. Only a draw was needed against a Poland team that had been far from impressive in losing against Senegal and Colombia and had nothing to play for but pride.
Senegal lost out on a second spot in the group to Japan because of a worse disciplinary record. None of the teams had a red card. "We know any team that reaches the last 16 is good, the 16 best teams in the world", he said.
The Senegal national team's coach, Aliou Cissé, too, is worthy of adoration.
"In any case, these are the rules of the game, and we have to respect them, but we would have preferred to be eliminated in another way".
During the first half, both Gary Cahill and Trent Alexander-Arnold cleared off the line for England. At that time, Colombia and Senegal were 0-0.
"There was a lot of tension in the air", Colombia coach Jose Pekerman said.
"To lose a World Cup final on penalties is extremely hard and you need to accept the result, somehow you need to find a victor".
Only two slots in the knockout stage remain up for grabs and both will be decided in the first round of matches that will kick off on Thursday.
Colombia will face the runner-up of Group G, which will be either England or Belgium.
Adnan Januzaj scored the game's only goal on this super individual effort in the 51st minute.
Rashford had by a distance England's best chance 25 minutes from time, but again slotted wide with just Courtois to beat. With six yellow cards in three group games, Senegal were eliminated because Japan had only been issued four, leaving Africa without a representative in the last 16.
Unfortunately, a loss to Mexico in their first game saw them fall flat in the competition, and they seemed like an uninspired team who only recorded one win.
Poland's star striker Robert Lewandowski missed a good chance to double the lead in the 74th minute, meaning he failed to score in all three matches he played at the World Cup in Russian Federation.
- What next for Turkey after Erdogan's executive presidency win?
- Cannabis grown in United Kingdom used in FDA approved epilepsy drug
- Rules in the Knockout Stages
- Japan advance on fair play points despite loss to Poland
- Funeral for Lesandro ‘Junior’ Guzman-Feliz held at Bronx church Wednesday
- US Supreme Court Upholds Travel Ban | Morgan Lewis
- Cesc Fabregas Questions Cristiano Ronaldo's World Cup Goals
- Merkel: Emergency EU immigration meeting produced a lot of good will
- Saudi Arabia pip Egypt in final Group tie
- Harley-Davidson To Move More Production Oversees Amid US-EU Trade Tensions