Police identified the four other victims killed in the shooting as 61-year-old Gerald Fischman, 56-year-old John McNamara, 34-year-old Rebecca Smith and 65-year-old Wendi Winters.
Tronc Chairman and CEO Justin Dearborn releases a statement following the deadly shooting in the Capital-Gazette newsroom.
There was no gunfire exchanged between the suspect and officers when they took him into custody, Frashure said.
A single suspect was taken into custody in connection with the deadly shooting, police said. Authorities were executing a search warrant at his home and were not expected to release a photo until that was complete.
Ramos filed a defamation claim in 2012 against the paper but the case was dismissed, CNN reports.
A United States official briefed on the investigation has identified the suspect in a shooting at a Maryland newspaper as a white male who is believed to have carried a shotgun.
Anne Arundel police spokesman Lt. Ryan Frashure said officers raced to the scene, arriving in 60 seconds, and engaged the shooter. According to reports, around 6 people were shot at in the newspaper office on Thursday afternoon in US.
Phil Davis, a Gazette crime reporter, wrote on Twitter after the shooting that a gunman fired through the office's glass door and hit multiple employees. Law enforcement in Baltimore and New York City deployed protective forces to major media outlets as a precaution, authorities said. Police worked for more than an hour to evacuate and clear the building.
The event sparked a large police presence in the area, including the Westfield Annapolis Mall. The suspect is refusing to identify himself.
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan called it a "tragic situation".
Capital Gazette Communications' staff includes three people on the executive staff as well as seven editors, according to CapitalGazette.com. Capital Gazette intern Anthony Messenger tweeted at approximately 3 p.m. local time, "Active shooter 888 Bestgate please help us". On Twitter early Friday morning, the newspaper tweeted what its front page would look like. "I write about this stuff - not necessarily to this extent, but shootings and death - all the time", Davis told the Sun. "I don't know why".
Davis said he and others were still hiding when the shooter stopped firing. But she didn't see the shooter as she tried to hide. Dozens were killed there.
"Our community was shaken by tragedy today", he said.
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Merkel: Emergency EU immigration meeting produced a lot of good will
- Russian Federation coach Stanislav Cherchesov bemoans set piece frailties vs. Uruguay
- Global stocks sink on trade disputes, safer investments steady
- Justices won't hear case of Richland anti-gay marriage florist Arlene's Flowers
- Cannabis grown in United Kingdom used in FDA approved epilepsy drug
- If I go and headbutt Roberto... Southgate laughs off permutations talk
- The Avengers 4 Trailers Are Going To Have A Weird Marketing Problem
- US Supreme Court Upholds Travel Ban | Morgan Lewis