Uruguay showed why they were on a run of six games without conceding a goal this year.
To stop Ronaldo, Uruguayan central defensive partnership of Diego Godin and Jose Maria Gimenez, who is set to comeback after missing the third match due to a thigh injury, need to be at their best.
The Paris Saint-Germain striker had put Uruguay ahead early on by bundling Luis Suarez's cross home with his face after just seven minutes. William Carvalho's participation is in doubt after he missed training on Thursday. The South Americans work the ball to Cavani who has time to consider his options on the edge of the box. he wraps his body around the ball, curling an unstoppable shot into the top corner.
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez was complimentary of Ronaldo and the rest of the Portugal squad, noting several times Uruguay will be facing the reigning champions of Europe.
Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani are likely to be the key men for Uruguay having scored three goals between them so far at the tournament.
Oscar Tabarez: We need to improve very quickly [from the performance against Russia], because any match in the round of 16 will be extremely hard.
The South Europeans will meet Uruguay for the first time in a World Cup. Furthermore, both players leave Russian Federation still in search of their first goals in the tournament's knockout stages.
Portugal, meanwhile, muddled through their group with draws against Spain and Iran and a fortuitous win over Morocco but that is unlikely to bother their grizzled coach Fernando Santos, who is always happy for his team to be considered the ugly ducklings.
If Uruguayan defenders manage to get the best of Cristiano Ronaldo and get him sent off early in the game, it might be effectively game over for Portugal in Russian Federation.
Ronaldo was involved somewhat in Portugal's goal, even if he didn't come close to getting a touch on the cross.
It was a five-pass buildup from deep in their own end that culminated in Uruguay's first goal, and the final two passes were ideal.
- Japan Satisfied With 1-0 Defeat to Poland - Head Coach
- Japan advance on fair play points despite loss to Poland
- Justices won't hear case of Richland anti-gay marriage florist Arlene's Flowers
- France just knows it's going to get Messi against Argentina
- Trump pledges July 9 announcement on Supreme Court nominee
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez describes "astonishing" primary upset
- Amazon to buy PillPack in move into pharmacy in US
- IOS 12 public beta: the best features
- Melania Trump returns to border amid family separation outcry
- Republican immigration overhaul fails in heavier than expected defeat