Kennedy says the weather service could issue a heat advisory for Monday or Tuesday as the index could top 100 degrees.
For Monday, July 2, that record of 102 degrees may also be tested. No matter what, think heat indices around 105° will be common for much of next week. Yesterday was day number one with afternoon highs around 90 degrees, but at least the hot weather arrived minus the high humidity, at least initially. If the Northeast does not dip below 90 degrees through Friday, some locations, including New York City;, Albany, New York; Philadelphia; and Washington, D.C., could enter record territory for length of a heat wave.
There is also an 80 percent chance of thunderstorms in Grand Rapids on Sunday evening.
The National Weather Service posted a reminder Friday that heat kills more people each year than tornadoes, lightning and floods. Heat stroke is an emergency.call 9 1 1.
If you are looking for another way to cool off, city beaches are open. A storm knocked out power to 30,000 of them in St. Louis, who now lack air conditioning.
And Saturday will see a 40 percent chance of showers on an otherwise mostly-sunny day with a high near 88.
Avoid strenuous activity, especially between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Those storms ramped up in the early morning hours on Thursday and moved through, causing some flooding in small streams and ponding on roadways.
Additionally, beware of leaving children or pets in a locked vehicle.
Drink plenty of water, stay in the air-conditioning and out of the sun.
Sleeping will be extremely hard without air conditioning as heat from the pavement will be ruthless, USA Today reports. Wear lightweight and loose-fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of water. Dark colors will absorb heat. The hot and blistering sunshine will be the main weather talking point for days to come.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez describes "astonishing" primary upset
- Five killed in newsroom shooting in US
- Kennedy's departure opens 2nd seat for Trump to fill
- Sampaoli: Messi not picking Argentina team
- Japan advance on fair play points despite loss to Poland
- France just knows it's going to get Messi against Argentina
- WTI Crude Oil On Roller Coaster Ride - Top 3 Reasons
- If I go and headbutt Roberto... Southgate laughs off permutations talk
- Melania Trump returns to border amid family separation outcry
- Republican immigration overhaul fails in heavier than expected defeat