King Felipe VI of Spain was at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.
Social media has exploded with the potential path to England's potential first World Cup final appearance since 1966 when they won the competition.
Possession football appears to be a relic, ready for a display case in football's version of the Hermitage museum.
"This is a great victory for us, for the whole country, the soul of the country", Mikhail Sitner, 34, from Moscow, said.
The Spanish stopper is clearly not accustomed to criticism since recovering admirably from a shaky start to life at United but supporters tore into his distribution during Spain's final World Cup game.
Spain has gone three straight major tournaments without a title. The Russians progressed from Group A with surprisingly ease, beating Saudi Arabia 5-0 and Egypt 3-1 before falling to a 3-0 defeat to Uruguay to finish second.
Alan Dzagoev was forced off early on due to injury, but Denis Cheryshev was excellent in his place, scoring twice and once more against Egypt.
Andrey, a bar manager in St Petersburg, admitted that his opinion of Cherchesov had changed.
"Thank God, we were lucky, that's it", said the keeper, who like his counterpart at the other end, David de Gea, had very little to break sweat over for the preceding 120 minutes.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, after Russian Federation knocked the 2010 champions out on penalties in Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium, that Putin - who watched the game on TV - had not put any pressure on the team to win. The 38-year-old defender diverted a crossed ball into the net with his heel as he and Ramos got tangled up.
Fernando Hierro & Co were shocked by hosts Russian Federation in Moscow, losing 5-3 on penalties after drawing 1-1.
"There is a lot of pain in the delegation, the players, the coaching staff, the workers", he told reporters.
His personal website describes his coaching philosophy as "Forward without fear and doubt". Referees and video officials have consistently penalized handballs in the box at this World Cup.
- Kennedy's departure opens 2nd seat for Trump to fill
- Republican immigration overhaul fails in heavier than expected defeat
- Amazon to buy PillPack in move into pharmacy in US
- James Harden: Houston Rockets guard named Most Valuable Player at NBA Awards
- Brilliant Cavani brace fires Uruguay into last eight
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez describes "astonishing" primary upset
- Signs From Americans Fed Up With Trump At Families Belong Together Marches
- LeBron James Declines $35.6M Option, Will Enter Free Agency
- 'Would not give up "even an inch" of its territory' - China
- How do Sixers stack up in competition for LeBron James?