The Brazil forward slid toward goal and tapped in after Willian sprinted down the left and fired in a low cross.
While his scoring is so often the focus, Neymar also creates goals for his teammates. The 2-0 loss Monday was perhaps not quite so painful as some of the previous fourth-game defeats, but the knowledge that Brazil was simply better will only mitigate the hurt to some extent.
It looked like Neymar's game - or even his World Cup - could be over with 20 minutes to go. It turned out to be pure histrionics.
To be fair, Mexico's Miguel Layun did step directly on Neymar's ankle in a pretty dirty move.
Up next for Brazil is a tantalising quarterfinal match against Belgium, who rallied from two-goals down to beat Japan 3-2 in their round-of-16 match.
Osorio has been widely expected to leave the Mexico job after the World Cup, but he didn't want to talk about whether he may continue in the position. The team opened with a win over Germany, setting the defending champions on the path to an early exit. They caused problems for Brazil, too, initially.
"We know he likes to exaggerate fouls, throw himself on the ground a lot, but that's his style of play and the person who needs to stop that is the referee, not us".
"The most unfortunate moment for us was the game against Sweden", said Layun.
The rapid recovery seemed miraculous.
'It's a man's sport and there shouldn't be so much acting.
Neymar has made a slow start to the tournament, showing glimpses of skill but drawing criticism for diving in an attempt to win a penalty against Costa Rica.
Tite's men are yet to hit full stride at Russian Federation 2018, and on this evidence they still have more to come, but Neymar's 51st-minute goal and Firmino's tap-in after coming off the bench means the tournament favourites progressed with relative comfort in the end, and avoided the early exit that has already befallen the likes of Spain, Germany and Argentina.
There were no shortage of sombreros in the crowd as Mexican fans decked out the stadium with oversize straw hats and wrestling masks, while Brazilian fans were equally zealous in their fashion choices, featuring headbands in blue, yellow and green with many fans also displaying their country's flag in face paint.
The margin became more comfortable with two minutes left when Firmino - just on as a replacement for Coutinho - added the finishing touch after Neymar had led a counter-attack.
- Signs From Americans Fed Up With Trump At Families Belong Together Marches
- 17 states sue Trump administration over family separations
- FPJ's dream XI predictions for Spain vs Russian Federation
- Which Lyrics Are About Drake’s Son In His Song 'Emotionless'?
- Spurs and Lakers believe Kawhi Leonard trade clinches LeBron to LA
- Kennedy's departure opens 2nd seat for Trump to fill
- How do Sixers stack up in competition for LeBron James?
- South Korean KO - Dark day for defending champions
- Cleveland Cavaliers Interested In Trading For Kemba Walker
- MI Muslims Rally Against Supreme Court Travel Ban Decision