Man of the match, Neymar, scored the first goal for the Selecao while substitute, Firmino, extended the lead to keep alive their dreams of winning their sixth World Cup title.
"I just want to go through to the quarters and the semis". "We have played to our best, but the players have something more to offer", said coach Akira Nishino. "We have good training sessions, and I'm sure we'll be ready tomorrow".
"I wanted to create a new chapter in history, but we have realized what a big wall in world football we have to climb".
Casemiro was booked midway through the second half for pulling back Mexico's Hirving Lozano in an attempt to stop a counter-attack with the scores still level at 0-0. Only a day earlier, he was rhetorically asking how he would attack a team like Belgium, citing its third place in the world's Federation Internationale de Football Association ranking and Japan's place 58 places down the list at 61.
However, Japan has exceeded expectations in group play and could be a tough out in the knockout stage.
Following their World Cup exit, Honda said: "Today we showed how we can proceed as Japanese football". They are also known to do the same in other competitions as well.
But it's what they did next that really impressed many people across the globe: they left their locker room in utterly impeccable condition despite their heart-wrenching FIFA World Cup elimination, which was held in Russian Federation on Monday.
"Japan is totally different to Wales (the side that eliminated Belgium from the 2016 Euros), and we'll take this as seriously as possible".
It's also little surprise that the rise in Asian nations being competitive at the World Cup coincided with an increase in spots that began with the four nations that gathered in Korea and Japan in 2002.
On the Layun incident, he added: "I saw what happened and you can look at the video and say nothing".
- Five killed in newsroom shooting in US
- 17 states sue Trump administration over family separations
- Thai boys trapped in cave for more than a week found alive
- FPJ's dream XI predictions for Spain vs Russian Federation
- Trump pledges July 9 announcement on Supreme Court nominee
- National Weather Service Issues Heat Advisory thru Sunday for Millburn Township
- Brilliant Cavani brace fires Uruguay into last eight
- Kennedy's departure opens 2nd seat for Trump to fill
- Thon Maker breaks silence on Philippine Arena brawl
- How do Sixers stack up in competition for LeBron James?