"It's our duty to save life and property", he said.
The fast-moving fire has scorched at least 142-square kilometres of dry brush and threatened more than 100 buildings in ranch land northwest of Sacramento.
San Francisco residents shared photos on social media showing the city choked by ash and smoke as a yellow haze washed over the city, resembling a sepia tone Instagram filter. No casualties have been reported.
Because of the Independence Day holiday, authorities are also concerned about the possibility of campfires or fireworks starting new fires because of the dry, hot conditions.
It may soon be more hard for fire victims in California to sue utilities for damages caused by wildfires.
The Knoxville Wildlife Area and Berryessa Peak Trail have been especially hard hit.
San Luis Valley Emergency tweeted Monday night that 104 homes have been destroyed so far by the Spring Fire burning east of Fort Garland.
Wildfires have burned through almost one million hectares in the United States this year as of June 29 - well above the average, according to the National Interagency Fire Center.
Cooperating crews were able to contain the fire to the garage and kitchen areas of the home, allowing much of the structure to be intact, according to the Madison County Fire Department. Officials said the fire almost doubled in size on Monday.
Several other road closures and evacuations orders remain in place Tuesday morning as an estimated 2,162 firefighters work to build containment lines around the blaze.
The fire was reportedly started by people shooting tracer rounds - despite a Stage 2 fire ban in the county. It is now 3,850 acres with 50 percent containment (up from 7 percent contained yesterday.) This fire was caused by lightning.
A firefighter scrambles to stop a wildfire as the wind drives embers across Highway 20 near Clearlake Oaks on Sunday.
Highway 26 was shut down in both directions for almost six hours while crews battled the flames.
This fire is spreading so rapidly because of red flag weather conditions, which involves high temperatures, high winds, and low humidity.
- Tearful Japan fans crushed by last-gasp loss to Belgium
- Tesla hits 5,000-unit weekly production for Model 3
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak Arrested For Corruption
- Cleveland Cavaliers Interested In Trading For Kemba Walker
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- FPJ's dream XI predictions for Spain vs Russian Federation
- Defoe strengthens Euros case
- England have connected with the fans again, says Gareth Southgate