Seven protesters were arrested on the island earlier Wednesday, Sgt. David Somma, a spokesman for the National Park Service, told Reuters, but he could not confirm whether the woman in the standoff was a protester.
In pink sneakers and waving a shirt that read "Trump Care Makes Us Sick", the determined climber remained at the edge of the statue's copper robes for about three hours, as police pleaded with her to come down. I guess the whole debate that's going on about that.
Okoumou allegedly "staged a unsafe stunt that alarmed the public and endangered her own life and the lives of the (New York Police Department) officers who responded to the scene", U.S. Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman said in a statement.
But Trump said during a Montana campaign rally she should have been left alone until she chose to come down on her own.
Before the protester's climb, activists from a group called "Rise and Resist" hung a banner with a message about abolishing Immigration and Customs Enforcement from the statue.
The woman stopped at the bottom of the statue itself, laying and sitting under Lady Liberty's half-raised right foot, some 100 feet (30m) above ground level.
Trump said during a Montana campaign rally she should have been left alone until she made a decision to come down on her own. She occasionally moved around the base and waved a T-shirt at times.
It took four hours before the police could get Okoumou down, after which she was taken into custody.
"She said she was sorry for having us come up there".
"Hopefully they know that there are people like Patricia out there trying to protect their civil liberties, which I would have faith that they treasure more than trip to Statue of Liberty", Rhiya Trivedi said. "The turning point was once we could safely go up". We understand and share her desire to see the immediate release of children from detention and reunion with their parents.
She faces charges of interfering with national park regulations, trespassing and disorderly conduct, according to WLNY-TV.
The 44-year-old has been accusing on staging 'a risky stunt that alarmed the public and endangered her own life and the lives of the [New York Police Department] officers who responded to the scene, ' according to a statement from US Attorney Geoffrey S. Berman.
- Lakers Rumors: Asking price for Kawhi Leonard is absurd
- David Moyes backs Jordan Pickford for England role
- All 12 boys and football coach trapped in Thailand cave 'found alive'
- Christian Horner praises 'disciplined' and 'mature' Max Verstappen
- 'Floating Brain' Headed to ISS on SpaceX Cargo Run
- OR fire forces evacuations, highway closure near Warm Springs
- Warm Springs wildfire forces evacuations, shuts U.S. 26
- Sen. Collins: 'I Will Not Support Nominee Hostile to Roe v. Wade'
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak Arrested For Corruption