Those watching in the United Kingdom felt the tension as England and Colombia drew 1-1 and the game went to a penalty shootout, watched by 23.6 million viewers.
Dier's ability to hold his nerve under such extreme pressure was made even more impressive by his lack of penalty-taking experience, especially when compared to the likes of fellow spot kick takers Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford.
And he will be eager to get on the scoresheet once again when Sweden face England in Samara on Saturday. Every team will believe they can make the final at this point.
'I told him but I said, "I've got to tell you, Noel, he's over-age, he's a year older than the rest of them".
The game peaked with 24.4m linear viewers as goalkeeper Jordan Pickford made a fearless save after it looked like England would fall to the inevitable with Jordan Henderson missing his spot kick.
"It's coming home." That's the sentence that any English football fan will respond with if you ask them about England's chances in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Of course, what he really wanted to do was fill up his 280 character limit with the lyrics of John Barnes's "World In Motion" rap in block capitals, but we imagine that royal protocol put a downer on that.
"Gareth, the players and the staff have done a tremendous job, and we've got that pride in the jersey, which is great to see".
Harry Kane and Dele Alli are struggling with a back and thigh injury respectively ahead of England's meeting with Sweden, according to a report.
"Oddly enough, when it gets to these games, they're not always as honest as they might be about how fit they are".
I just kind of looked back at him, but we knew their game plan and exactly what they were trying to do.
"I think it will be 3-2 to England".
- Scaramucci: Roe v. Wade Won't Likely Be Overturned
- Diego Maradona offers to coach Argentina for free
- Tesla hits 5,000-unit weekly production for Model 3
- Trump predicts 'very good relationship' with Mexico's president-elect Lopez Obrador
- Tearful Japan fans crushed by last-gasp loss to Belgium
- Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak Arrested For Corruption
- Thon Maker breaks silence on Philippine Arena brawl
- Lakers Rumors: Asking price for Kawhi Leonard is absurd
- Bumrah, Sundar ruled out of England T20I series
- Thai boys trapped in cave for more than a week found alive