"Because of the small size of Beryl and anticipated weakening, widespread wind damage is not expected", said AccuWeather meteorologist Jake Sojda. Forecasters say a mass of showers and thunderstorms a few hundred miles off the Carolina coast is likely to become a tropical depression in the next two days.
Rapid changes in intensity - both up and down - are possible in coming days.
The first hurricane of the 2018 Atlantic season has formed.
The center of the storm was located 1,045 miles east-southeast of the Lesser Antilles and was moving west near 15 mph, the NHC said in an 11 a.m. update. It's expected to break down by the time it reaches Dominican Republic and Haiti. However, some islands could be placed under a hurricane watch as early as tonight, with tropical storm force winds arriving by Sunday evening.
But those were top-of-scale Category 5 storms. Puerto Rico is within the cone of uncertainty.
A disturbance is being watched off the southeastern United States coast. Four 2017 storms - Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate - caused their names to be retired. "The island is vulnerable".
The community is also urged by Romeo-Marlin to monitor information from the Meteorological Department and the Department of Communication to stay informed about the storm's path.
Last year's hurricane season left a path of devastation across the Caribbean Islands and the USA overseas territory of Puerto Rico, where locals are still recovering almost one year on.
- Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- Poland braces for Supreme Court rebellion as judicial reform kicks in
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Thai schoolboys not ready for underwater escape
- Sen. Collins: 'I Will Not Support Nominee Hostile to Roe v. Wade'
- Christian Horner praises 'disciplined' and 'mature' Max Verstappen
- David Moyes backs Jordan Pickford for England role
- Ex-Navy Seal dies in Thai cave rescue
- England vs Sweden: everything you need to know
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager