Fernando Hierro's side crashed out of the tournament on penalties to hosts Russian Federation on Sunday, bringing an end to Iniesta's glittering global career.
Croatia hadn't advanced this far at the World Cup since the 1998 World Cup, which was its first appearance. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev thanked the team on his Facebook account.
Ivan Rakitic scored the deciding penalty after a 2-2 draw.
In a related incident, Federation Internationale de Football Association also issued a warning to Croatia goalkeeper, Danijel Subasic, who lifted his jersey to reveal a T-shirt commemorating a teammate who had died from game-related injuries in 2008.
Then Russia left their Croatian counterparts in hot water (well maybe luke warm) as Denis Cheryshev conceded in the 31st minute of the game. He also watched Mario Fernandes shot miss the goal wide left in the third round.
Domagoj Vida looked like he had won it for Croatia in extra-time, only for naturalised hero Mario Fernandes to find an even later equaliser to force a penalty shootout.
Goalkeeper Danijel Subasic went into extra time with an apparent right leg injury he picked up in the 89thminute. The Crotian team has seven goals scored by six different players, so Russian Federation will have to play a tight game defensively as the scoring could come from anyone.
The hosts qualified for the last eight after a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over former world champions, Spain.
Andrej Kramarić's goal against World Cup hosts, Russia.
Many fans gave him a standing ovation when he was taken off in the second half.
- Trump Baby Balloon Gets Approval to Fly in London
- Thai weather: Satellite images show rain forecast in Chiang Rai
- Dozens missing after boat capsizes off Thailand's Phuket island
- Get ready to gobble! Eating titans take on hot dog contest
- Police Arrest Immigration Protesters At Hartford Courthouse
- Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- Oil prices climb on tightening USA market
- France dominates Uruguay to book spot in World Cup semifinals
- Trump's 'Secret' Plan for Resolving the Matter of Elizabeth Warren's Heritage
- Thai schoolboys not ready for underwater escape