Fernando Hierro's side crashed out of the tournament on penalties to hosts Russian Federation on Sunday, bringing an end to Iniesta's glittering global career.
Croatia hadn't advanced this far at the World Cup since the 1998 World Cup, which was its first appearance. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev thanked the team on his Facebook account.
Ivan Rakitic scored the deciding penalty after a 2-2 draw.
In a related incident, Federation Internationale de Football Association also issued a warning to Croatia goalkeeper, Danijel Subasic, who lifted his jersey to reveal a T-shirt commemorating a teammate who had died from game-related injuries in 2008.
Then Russia left their Croatian counterparts in hot water (well maybe luke warm) as Denis Cheryshev conceded in the 31st minute of the game. He also watched Mario Fernandes shot miss the goal wide left in the third round.
Domagoj Vida looked like he had won it for Croatia in extra-time, only for naturalised hero Mario Fernandes to find an even later equaliser to force a penalty shootout.
Goalkeeper Danijel Subasic went into extra time with an apparent right leg injury he picked up in the 89thminute. The Crotian team has seven goals scored by six different players, so Russian Federation will have to play a tight game defensively as the scoring could come from anyone.
The hosts qualified for the last eight after a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over former world champions, Spain.
Andrej Kramarić's goal against World Cup hosts, Russia.
Many fans gave him a standing ovation when he was taken off in the second half.
- We haven't reunited a single separated family admits Trump administration
- Poland braces for Supreme Court rebellion as judicial reform kicks in
- Why England manager Gareth Southgate calls Harrogate home
- France dominates Uruguay to book spot in World Cup semifinals
- Lewis Hamilton prepared to face the penalty at British Grand Prix
- Trump's 'Secret' Plan for Resolving the Matter of Elizabeth Warren's Heritage
- Dozens missing after boat capsizes off Thailand's Phuket island
- Saga Of The Statue Of Liberty Scaler
- Trump tweets that EPA chief Scott Pruitt has resigned
- Ousted Pakistani PM Sharif gets 10-year jail term ahead of polls