There is no question that France were the finest ad strongest team at the tournament in Russian Federation that reached its climax with such a high-scoring final in Moscow.
At the age of 19 years and 192 days, the French star is the fourth youngest player to score in a World Cup knock-out game, after Pelé, Michael Owen & Julian Green.
But the lingering doubt will always be whether they would have been able to see off the classy Croats without the benefit of two controversial decisions.
Deschamps has continued to heap praises on his players, especially after his team defeated Belgium in the keenly contested semi-finals match earlier in the week.
Meanwhile, Croatia was one of this year's World Cup's most notable underdogs.
France has beaten Croatia 4-2 in the final in Moscow, after benefiting from a penalty and an own goal to lead 2-1 at halftime. Back then, many teams lagged far behind the best, leading to two 7-0 thrashings and a 9-0 game.
Now there have been 161 goals scored in 62 matches, for an average of 2.6 goals per match.
Mbappe's strike partner, Antoine Griezmann, still has plenty of football left to play at 27 as well, meaning their partnership could yet fire France to more European success.
Whilst Croatia might be the smallest nation to ever play in a (proper) World Cup Final in the modern era, support for Zlatko Dalic and his troops today could possibly be the biggest any nation has had. "We're going to make a new '98!" said 15-year-old Martin said after the team's semi-final win this week.
Deschamps became just the third person to win the World Cup as a player and manager, after captaining France to the World Cup on home soil, but he deferred the honour to his players after the game.
The World Cup final will be shown at 1:00 AM (AEST).
The World Cup final is on Monday, July 16 (AEST). Compare that with 2006, when 28 reds were issued including four in one game when Portugal beat the Netherlands.
- SHAMELESS: Democrat Says Strzok Should Receive PURPLE HEART for Anti-Trump Texts
- People Are Looking at Meghan Markle’s Outfit for the Wrong Reason
- France vs Croatia World Cup Final Preview and Predictions
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation leaders hope to 'avert disaster' amid concern
- Jose Mourinho on why France have World Cup advantage over Croatia
- Djokovic Breaks Nishikori To Reach Wimbledon Semis
- Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic will renew rivalry in Wimbledon semi-finals
- Apple Releases New MacBook Pros
- Trump in Scotland on next leg of contentious United Kingdom trip
- France v Croatia: Deschamps laughs off idea of immobile Modric