Aliens and monsters have been a huge thing for Doctor Who for a very long time.
But Whittaker did acknowledge the significance of not just a female Doctor Who, but also a Doctor who has two companions of non-white heritage.
The first footage from Doctor Who's 11th season gives fans their best look at Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor helming her own show. "I really love television when it's a communal experience". It features two buttons that when pressed activate glowing patterns of red and orange interior lights, two different authentic Thirteenth Doctor Sonic Screwdriver sounds, and a attractive rotating crystal that glows. "I want you guys to all be talking about it at the same time, and we have things you're not going to want to be spoiled for". Her character, Yasmin, is a 19-year-old who is "whisked away on this awesome adventure with these people, who become her family, and she's in awe of the Doctor..."
"Who is a genius", producer Matt Strevens said.
The official word is Doctor Who will return sometime between September and December this year.
Sadly, one of those old things not likely to show up this upcoming season is Daleks. "The relationship between the three is attractive", Gill did say and added it will evolve over the 10 episodes of the new season.
A family of Whovians waiting to meet the first female Doctor
All we know so far is their names - Yasmin, Ryan and Graham - and the fact that they have some sort of connection to the Doctor.
We do have a few glimpses of different times and places, at least. And, if the Hall H audience is any indication, the fandom is ready for it. He also recalled when Whittaker first walked on set and how she sold the crew on her being the new Doctor right away, which was no easy feat.
There's a new lead writer - Chris Chibnall, who wrote the British crime drama Broadchurch - as well as a new Doctor, new companions and whole new adventures.
"Since the first Doctor regenerated back in 1966, the concept of the Doctor as a constantly evolving being has been central to the programme". Witty, amusing and charming from the off, it's clear that she's making the iconic role her own and we're already sold on Number Thirteen.
A new Doctor is introduced every so often, and season 11 is that next big pivotal point.
- Thai soccer boys attend religious ceremony
- I wanted Trump to win - Vladimir Putin
- 'Defended a Tyrant': McCain, GOP Lawmakers Rip Trump Over 'Tragic' Putin Summit
- Donald Trump arrives in Helsinki for summit with Vladimir Putin
- ‘Trump told me Britain should sue Brussels’
- Putin says 25 mln cyber attacks at World Cup-related infrastructure foiled
- Courtois to Real Madrid: Chelsea replacement the only hold-up
- Primed for competition: Amazon’s manufactured shopping holiday is boosting its retail rivals
- Juve Stars Mock Cuadrado For Handing Ronaldo No.7 Jersey
- Where you can watch Obama’s Nelson Mandela lecture online