Thai soccer boys attend religious ceremony

Friday, 20 Jul, 2018

The 12 boys and their football coach will give a press conference this evening, a week since the last of them was rescued from the Tham Luang cave complex.

Such an accomplishment could never have been achieved without that mission's use of adaptive rescue plans and a mitigation management system, said a senior official with the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department. White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders said that Trump's statement was misconstrued and he did mean what he said.

The boys, aged 11 to 16, and the 25-year-old coach were in good health and strong mentally, but needed time with their families in order to return to their normal lives, said medical staff.

The Thai soccer team rescued from a cave play soccer with the Thai Navy Seals who helped save them.

Appearing at a press conference beamed worldwide, the "Wild Boars" team members appeared healthy and happy despite the nine days they spent in the dark before being found by an global rescue team and extracted days later.

Ekarat Wongsukchan, 14, said they decided "to calm ourselves first, to try to fix the problem and find a way out".

The boys and their coach were rescued over the course of three days last week, ending an ordeal that began on June 23, when the cave they were exploring flooded during a sudden heavy rain.

Towards the end of their introduction to the world the Wild Boars were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up. "We want the boys to have regular lives and go back to school have time with families and activities they like", said psychologist Patchaneewan Inta.

"When he (the diver) emerged from the water I was shocked that he was British", he recalled.

The Wild Boars looked healthy and happy as they answered questions on Wednesday.

"I told them I was going to Tham Khun Nam", he said.

The team had no food at all until they were found deep in the complex, surviving only on water that dripped down the side of the cave.

As attention turned to how they became trapped, the mood in the room became more sober.

"I want to be a navy SEAL because I want to help others", said another boy.

During the first 10 days, there was one particularly worrying moment that caused the group to shift course. "We'll do whatever he wants", he said. "It was magical", he said. Eventually, they took turns digging for something to do.

One of the boys added, "We used stones to dig in the cave". Rising waters and plummeting oxygen levels convinced rescue workers that something needed to be done sooner rather than later, despite the fact that expert divers said the cave posed some of the toughest conditions they'd ever faced.

Some of the rescued team members bowing their heads respectfully in front of a sketch of the former Thai Navy Seal diver who died while trying to rescue them. "I tried not to think about food so I didn't get more hungry".

During the press conference, numerous boys thanked the rescuers for their heroic efforts.