A woman who gave her name only as Mary told the Toronto Star she was in the Pantheon restaurant on Danforth Avenue when she saw a young girl being placed on a stretcher and taken into an ambulance.
"We started to hear people scream out front", Steinhauer told the broadcaster. Three victims underwent immediate life-saving surgery at a hospital treating five of the 12 injured, officials said, adding that all five have been upgraded to stable condition.
Police haven't disclosed his motive.
The SIU has said the suspect is a 29-year-old man from Toronto, but the organization's spokesperson, Monica Hudon, said his identity isn't being released at this time. It was unclear whether the gunman died from wounds inflicted by the officer or himself. He said police don't know what prompted the attack but are investigating all possibilities. Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders has said that those injured during the shooting range in age from 10 to 59, with injuries also ranging from minor to serious.
Police said the gunman used a handgun.
REUTERS People leaving the scene look in shock
John Tulloch says he and his brother had just gotten out of their auto on Danforth when he heard about 20 to 30 gunshots.
Witnesses said they heard between 10 and 20 shots around 10 p.m. EST Sunday along several blocks of busy Danforth Avenue in an area of Toronto known as Greektown.
Reese Fallon, 18, was identified as one of the victims killed in the Toronto shooting. The police have said that an adult female was killed in the incident, while the child is critical. "It's way too early to rule out anything".
Toronto Mayor John Tory said the shooting on Sunday shows that there is "evidence of a gun problem" in the city.
Plainclothes police officers work the scene of shooting in Toronto on Sunday, July 22, 2018.Police work the scene of a shooting in Toronto on Sunday, July 22, 2018.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford tweeted a message of solidarity with the victims following the shooting, writing: "My heart goes out to the victims and loved ones of the horrific act of gun violence in Toronto".
- Francesco Molinari wins the British Open
- Trump Stuns Washington, Invites Russia's Vladimir Putin to White House
- Montenegro Responds To Trump: 'We Are Proud Of Our History'
- Trump slams currency manipulation by Brussels & Beijing
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Fraile wins Tour stage, Thomas in yellow
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Man with gun barricaded inside Los Angeles Trader's Joe's
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Russian Federation 'open' to Vladimir Putin visiting Donald Trump at White House