Zarif added that "we've been around for millennia & seen fall of empires, incl our own, which lasted more than the life of some countries".
Many Iranians are anxious that the war of words might lead to a conflict.
"As the dominant power in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, (Iran) has been the guarantor of the security of shipping and the global economy in this vital waterway and has the strength to take action against any scheme in this region", Bagheri said.
Pompeo referred to this case in his speech and made an interesting conclusion about the regime.
"He's much more impulsive than he is strategic".
"I would never take the military card off the table, and it's possible that it will have to be used, because Iran can not have nuclear weapons", Trump said in a November 2011 video from his office.
After speaking with European officials about Trump's warnings, International Crisis Group president Rob Malley said diplomats on the continent were not "really taking it seriously".
"The president has been very, very clear, again, since day one what his objectives are, and he certainly is not going to tolerate the leader of Iran making threats against Americans, making threats against this country, making threats against Israel". She declined repeated questions about whether Trump would consider meeting with Rouhani.
Pompeo said senior Iranian leaders had benefited from embezzlement, sweetheart deals and other ill-gotten gains.
The other signatories to the deal have vowed to stand by it.
Both the tweet and the speech landed less than two weeks before the administration will begin re-imposing sanctions on Iran that had been lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal.
Pompeo also tweeted a succession of messages in Persian, trying to bring his message directly to any Iranians who are able to skirt their country's censors.
- China says threats, intimidation on trade will never work
- European Union softens tone on Britain's Brexit plan, Europe News & Top Stories
- Police name murder suspect in Los Angeles store hostage standoff
- Montenegro Responds To Trump: 'We Are Proud Of Our History'
- Jordan Spieth's struggles on Sunday cost him $1.6 million
- Fraile wins Tour stage, Thomas in yellow
- President calls taping 'unheard of and perhaps illegal'
- Leicester City sign Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward for £12.5m
- Trump slams currency manipulation by Brussels & Beijing
- Trump Stuns Washington, Invites Russia's Vladimir Putin to White House