Lovato's shiny, happy pop music has become somewhat more personal in recent years - she'd sung about her bisexuality on the 2015 hit Cool For the Summer - but current single Sober is something else.
Behind The Bar Podcast: TMZ's lawyers Jason Beckerman and Derek Kaufman loiter at the intersection of law and entertainment, where they look closely at the personalities, events and trends driving the world of celebrity - and how the law affects it all.
Singer Demi Lovato was on Tuesday hospitalised in Los Angeles.
In 2011, she entered a facility, where she was treated for bipolar disorder, bulimia, self-harm, and addiction.
"Sober" did not reveal the nature of Lovato's relapse. She had been sober for six years when rumors started to swirl about her relapse, leading to the surprise release of "Sober", in which she apologizes for letting down herself, her family and her fans.
"So sorry to hear about Demi Lovato being hospitalized".
"To the ones who never left me, we've been down the road before".
UPDATE 6:06 P.M. EST: NBC News sources say Demi is now "stable, alert, and breathing".
Her second album, "Here We Go Again", released the same year.
Lovato, who was a child actress on the TV series "Barney & Friends", broke on the scene as a teen on the Disney Channel film "Camp Rock" and the network series "Sonny with a Chance".
"We have made a decision to replace the episode of Beat Shazam with another all-new episode".
- President calls taping 'unheard of and perhaps illegal'
- Illness forces Marchionne out of Ferrari
- Gunman Dead After Shooting Nine in Toronto: Canadian Police
- Images indicate North Korea dismantling facilities at test site
- China says threats, intimidation on trade will never work
- Authorities say 1 killed in LA market standoff
- Kim Jong-Un Fails to Respond to Pompeo Proposals at Pyongyang Meeting
- Jordan Spieth's struggles on Sunday cost him $1.6 million
- Francesco Molinari wins the British Open
- Israel evacuates 800 Syria White Helmets to Jordan: army