Nugroho said more than 1,000 houses were damaged in the quake that struck the vacation destination.
A 6.5 quake is considered strong and is capable of causing severe damage.
A magnitude 6.4 quake has struck the Indonesian island of Lombok, a popular tourist destination, the US Geological Survey says.
It said two of the aftershocks measured more than 5-magnitude. "Six of them (two have been seriously injured and four with minor injuries) are being treated at Selong Hospital, East Lombok", he said.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman for Indonesia's disaster mitigation agency, said earlier: "The quake killed at least 10 people, some 40 people are injured and dozens of houses were damaged".
Hundreds of people are injured and thousands of homes are damaged, officials say.
"The tremors were strong - I noticed waves in the hotel pool", he said.
Villagers walk near destroyed homes in an area affected by the early morning natural disaster at Sajang village, Sembalun, East Lombok, Indonesia, Sunday, July 29, 2018.
Photos released by the agency show damaged houses as well as the entrance of the popular Mount Rinjani National Park. "There were waves in the pools but only for 20-to-30 seconds", he told Reuters via telephone.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail said the government would wait for feedback from the Indonesian government regarding the form of assistance they wanted and that National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) had been placed on standby to assist in SAR operations.
Mount Rinjani volcano had also been closed off due to landslides.
At least two dozen others were injured in the quake, and one house was badly damaged in North Lombok.
A deep magnitude 6.4 quake struck off eastern Indonesia Saturday.
"All my neighbours also ran outside and the electricity was suddenly cut off", he told AFP.
Indonesia is located on the geologically active Pacific Ring of Fire and regularly experiences earthquakes and volcanic activity.
The latest natural disaster was on land and did not trigger any waves or tsunami but authorities issued a yellow alert, suggesting there was a possibility of casualties.
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- U.S. economy posts best performance since late 2014
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- This is Why Amazon Shares Are Soaring This Morning
- Total lunar eclipse around the world
- Samsung Display's 'Unbreakable' Display Certified in US | Be Korea-savvy
- Lunar eclipse: Century's longest 'blood moon' delights skygazers
- Juventus star Miralem Pjanic offered to Manchester City for £90million
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Facebook's value falls $148 billion after Q2 earnings call