And, that the goal came in front of 95,000 fans at Michigan Stadium on what was his first appearance for his new club made the experience all the more incredible. Based on this desperation, reports have emerged that United have contacted Barcelona regarding a possible deal for Yerry Mina, who impressed for Colombia at the World Cup.
Mourinho also embarked upon United's five-game trip to the States without 13 players due to post-World Cup breaks and stated they could be "in trouble" at the start of the season due to this and a number of injuries.
United's England internationals who were involved in the World Cup have also been called upon as Mourinho feels like his team is nowhere near ready for the start of the Premier League season.
"I would like to have two more players", Mourinho said. And I read into that he wants the best for the fans and the best for us and of course the best for him.
With nine players injured, Mourinho is keen to have the eight players who were granted extended breaks due to their exertions in Russian Federation return to training a week before they were supposed to.
While Liverpool have bought well, there will still be times when rotation requires one of the academy players to step up and be counted.
"Smalling? I've no idea", Mourinho said.
"Hopefully in 12 months, [I can] get better things like I have in the past". We start the game with nearly half of the players [who] aren't going to belong to our squad.
Fosu-Mensah spent last season on loan at Crystal Palace but the 20-year-old wants to stay in Manchester and hopes his versatility impresses Mourinho.
United have only been able to manage one victory, and that was in a penalty shoot-out, on this nightmarish preseason tour, but they have had even bigger issues than drab results.
"And that one I gave a list to my club five names a few months ago and I wait to see if it's possible to have one of these players. If I go it is because the offer that another team makes will be good".
Mourinho views a centre-back and a wide man as the most important positions to strengthen, with Harry Maguire and Ivan Perisic at the top of his wishlist.
"I'm waiting to see what happens".
- Polls close in historic Zimbabwe election
- Trump open to visiting Moscow, White House says
- Strong quake shakes Lombok
- Destructive ‘Carr Fire’ Rips Through Shasta County
- Juventus star Miralem Pjanic offered to Manchester City for £90million
- Water is buried beneath Martian landscape, study says
- How Geraint Thomas all but sealed his historic Tour de France victory
- Welsh Rider Geraint Thomas Wins First Tour De France Title
- Shareef O'Neal Shares Heartfelt Message to LeBron James Jr
- Juventus-linked Darmian determined to leave Manchester United despite defensive injuries