While United are not looking to actively replace him, club officials are in no doubt that Zidane would be top of the list of new managers if Mourinho did leave, according to the Sun.
United have struggled to cope in pre-season with their lack of squad depth, given the fact that a fair chunk of their players have been on an extended break following their World Cup breaks.
Mourinho is now entering his third season with United - and this is another reason why many football fans are predicting the 55-year-old's tenure at Old Trafford will soon come to an abrupt end. "They are a great team".
Shaw told The Times: "I don't think I would want to sign a contract right now because I want to prove to people that I deserve a contract". The most important thing is to get minutes and be ready for the game against Leicester.
Mourinho has nine days to prepare for Leicester's visit to Old Trafford on August 10 but, after a turbulent tour, the 55-year-old has already concluded his team are "in trouble".
Mourinho feels that he will be able to make one more new signing, and has insisted that it would "not be a drama" if the Red Devils fail to secure another.
It wasn't very impressive to say the least. He wants us to fight for the titles, he wants us to perform to our best, he wants us to work as hard as possible.
"I hope to be a better player and a better man, to grow up and win", he added. We started the game with nearly half of the players not going to belong to our squad.
"I can understand the manager and if I put myself in his position, I would be in the same situation".
"It's our nature, you always want more for your team".
"They are a huge club and need to stay around the top of the table as well as challenging for other silverware". "And some want to do what [Marcus] Rashford and [Phil] Jones do, which is to be back a little bit earlier to try because, for the beginning of the season, we are going to be in trouble".
"That's why I spoke with the manager and also with the club about my future". What did this game give me?
Mourinho continued to explain that the fans in the U.S. which were around 101,000 in the stadium did not deserve to watch this performance but saw two great goals; "These people here show how much they love their club and came to enjoy the clubs they love in Europe".
- Trump knew about Trump Tower meeting with Russians, Cohen source to CNN
- Welsh Rider Geraint Thomas Wins First Tour De France Title
- This is Why Amazon Shares Are Soaring This Morning
- New York Yankees trade for Toronto Blue Jays starter J.A. Happ
- How Geraint Thomas all but sealed his historic Tour de France victory
- Grieved families of MH370 victims hope for answers from official
- Trial begins for Trump's former campaign chair, Paul Manafort
- Strong quake shakes Lombok
- Israel intercepts ship trying to break Gaza blockade
- Trump open to visiting Moscow, White House says