According to Durango State officials, the plane came down in a field near the airport for the state capital shortly after takeoff.
He said the accident occurred at 3.45pm (local time) and could have been provoked by a storm.
The Aeromexico plane crashed after taking off in the northern state of Durango, but the state's governor says there were no deaths in the accident.
"Within a couple of minutes, the plane just started shaking and we heard a loud noise, we don't know behind us, we don't know right or left, but we just heard a loud noise behind us, and the next thing we knew, [the plane] was starting to smoke", Rivera said.
Durango Governor José Rosas Aispuro said a powerful gust of wind rocked flight 2431 before it plunged suddenly. But once outside, they struggled to navigate the area's thorny, rocky terrain as rain and hail beat down, Sanchez told reporters.
Video footage showed a plume of black smoke rising into the air as emergency services raced to the scene.
"Approximately 85 people are injured", Durango's civil defense spokesman Alejandro Cardoza told the Milenio television channel, adding there are some "serious injuries" but the majority are "very light". Details on his trip weren't immediately available.
A passenger plane crashes while taking off from an airport in Durango, Mexico.
Aeromexico said it was working with authorities to provide medical attention to the 101 people aboard the flight.
About 49 people were taken to hospital with injuries.
Grupo Aeroportuario Centro Norte, the airport operator, also attributed the crash to bad weather, citing preliminary reports.
Sanchez, director of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the Chicago suburb of Des Plaines, Illinois, was visiting his parents' home country this past weekend to celebrate his 50th birthday with family and friends, several of whom were also aboard the Mexico City-bound flight on their route back to Chicago.
Emergency crews are on site of a plane crash near Durango, Mexico, about 600 miles west of Laredo, Texas.
Aispuro had said earlier there were no figures of the injured or deceased.
The plane was carrying 97 passengers and four crew.
Added Jose Luis Corral, who lives in Oregon: "The plane took off, and then it went up and down and back up again and then it slid on the runway".
- Manchester United back José Mourinho despite manager's transfer frustrations
- Polls close in historic Zimbabwe election
- Lewis Hamilton claims faultless win at Hungarian GP
- New Pixel 3 leaked photos show deeper notch than iPhone X
- Three People Steal Valuable Shark from San Antonio Aquarium
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Apple shares soar in after-hours trade as earnings beat expectations
- Shareef O'Neal Shares Heartfelt Message to LeBron James Jr
- Trump Threatens Government Shutdown over Funding for $25 Billion Border Wall
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury