The rule is created to protect people in public housing from secondhand smoke.
"It (the rule) basically says you can smoke 25 feet away from one of the federal buildings and HUD homes", said Harold Ince, Jr., executive director of the Flint Housing Commission.
Starting Tuesday, July 31, smoking will be prohibited in public housing across Tennessee and the U.S.
"I'm an adult and I feel like I am being treated like a child when you tell me I can't smoke if I choose to smoke", West said.
A woman who lives in Macon's Anthony Homes, says she doesn't smoke, but finds the ban unfair. "Then, there would probably be an issue if they get caught smoking cigarettes - then there's the fine, paying money, or being put out.but, to each his own".
The new rule is meant to cut down on secondhand smoke and the risk of smoking-related fires in residential buildings.
Keep in mind, it doesn't apply to e-cigarettes, snuff and chewing tobacco.
A new policy is banning smoking from inside and around public housing throughout the United States, including Ohio.
The HUD website's guidance for local housing authorities includes a procedure that ends with eviction for people who don't follow the rules.
Many senior citizens were around during the time when there were no bans on smoking, allowing consumers to smoke in places like restaurants and non-hospitality workplaces.
"Residents have been required to sign new leases acknowledging the new policy and staff will continue to provide smoking cessation program information to residents as requested", Lemons said.
- Israel intercepts ship trying to break Gaza blockade
- Lewis Hamilton claims faultless win at Hungarian GP
- Nine states are suing the Trump administration to stop 3D-printed guns
- Gonzalo Higuain agrees to join AC Milan on loan from Juventus
- Judge temporarily blocks download of 3D-printed plastic gun plans
- Trump Offers Iran Olive Branch Days After Threatening Tweet
- Opposition defies Speaker's appeal for peace in Rajya Sabha
- Trial begins for Trump's former campaign chair, Paul Manafort
- Polls close in historic Zimbabwe election
- Manchester United back José Mourinho despite manager's transfer frustrations