LeBron's sentiments obviously got under the Donald's skin but this isn't the first time the two have had some bad blood between them.
In his interview with Don Lemon, James said that sport had offered him the opportunity to meet people of different backgrounds and race, adding: "Sports has never been something that divides people". The grossly insecure President, who is manic over and obsessed with cable news, simply can not handle criticism and responds with wild and baseless personal attacks.
It looks like LeBron James is working to do good things on behalf of our next generation.
First lady Melania Trump stepped away from her husband's criticism of National Basketball Association star LeBron James to compliment his work on behalf of children and even offer to visit his school for at-risk children.
The first lady's office was asked by news organizations for comment.
Lemon, who also responded to the president's tweet Saturday, cited the first lady's Be Best initiative.
CNN anchor Lemon also chimed into the Twitter debate, saying: "Who's the real dummy?" Lemon wrote on Twitter. He included a #BeBest hashtag.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request to clarify Trump's remarks.
"What I've noticed over the past few months [is] he's kinda used sports to kinda divide us, and that's something that I can't relate to", James said during the interview.
As outrage over Mr Trump's comments grew, James sent out a tweet of his own, but not one directly aimed at Trump.
In September 2017, James called Trump a "bum" for rescinding his invitation to the Golden State Warriors to celebrate their basketball championship with a visit to the White House. Trump subsequently said neither team would be invited. But commenting on someone's intelligence, including his own, has always been a Trump trope.
Trump may have even been among the first to label LeBron James a "clutch performer", amid criticism the former Cav was prone to passing up game winning shots.
- Donald Trump Echoes Rudy Giuliani: 'Collusion Is Not A Crime'
- Frustrated Over China Trade War Progress, Trump Considers Escalation
- LeBron James to open new school for at-risk students
- At least 20 dead in strikes on Yemen's Hodeida - medics
- To return to reason on trade, says tactics wont work
- Mueller, Trump Lawyers Closing In On Interview Agreement
- EPL: Lukaku reveals why Mourinho is angry
- Paul Pogba holds secret talks with Barcelona chief
- China, ASEAN Agree On Draft South China Sea Code Of Conduct
- Meghan Markles father, sister in tirade against royal family