Asked if they're close to their preferred target, Pep responded: "I don't know".
Resolving the managerial situation hasn't ended uncertainty around Chelsea. But should they remain at the club, Sarri has a number of players who already possess the attributes required, and should help with the smoothness of this transition between styles and formations.
Despite lacking a few first team regulars, it's as if the season had never ended.
Marcos Alonso - 4 - Concerns over his ability as a LB. Willy Caballero will likely deputise for Courtois once again. Foden created the first goal for Aguero and Bernardo created the second one, making the most of the space Chelsea left in front of their back four.
This was not a City team firing on all cylinders - David Silva is not yet match fit after his exertions at the World Cup and Kevin De Bruyne and Raheem Sterling will not return to pre-season training until today - but that, if anything, is even more unnerving for their rivals. "With him and Gabriel [Jesus] we are good in that position".
Bravo fumbled another Hudson-Odoi strike moments later, with the rebound hacked away as the Chelsea winger caused increasing problems.
These will include Eric Garcia, Cameron Humphreys, Douglas Luiz and Lukas Nmecha. In addition to the unprecedented triple-digit point total, according to ESPN, the Sky Blues won the Premier League by 19 points, beating the record of 18 set by Manchester United in 1999/2000.
Watch a preview of the Chelsea vs. Manchester City 2018 FA Community Shield match in the video below, courtesy of ESPN FC. British Summer Time at 90,000-seat Wembley Stadium in London, England.
Jorginho's pass completion rate remained above 90 per cent, though - testament to his composure under pressure - and he will no doubt enjoy more dominant displays against the many Premier League teams unable to match the intense press of Pep's men.
In contrast, Chelsea are starting from scratch after chain-smoking former banker Sarri was hired from Napoli as an antidote to his antagonistic predecessor Conte. "He did it really well, in time he will be a football player for us for a long time".
Click through the gallery above to see pictures of City lifting the Community Shield on Sunday.
A squad of largely fringe and youth players made the trip to the States, where City lost 1-0 and 2-1 to Dortmund and Liverpool before coming from 2-0 down to beat Bayern.
- LeBron James to open new school for at-risk students
- Meghan Markles father, sister in tirade against royal family
- Trump tweet slams LeBron James, Don Lemon over CNN interview
- To return to reason on trade, says tactics wont work
- Bolton denies USA involvement in Maduro assassination plot
- California governor asks Trump to aid with fires
- Rouhani: Iran can not talk with United States while under sanctions
- Venezuelan leader Maduro accuses Colombia of exploding drone assassination attempt
- Voter ID required to stop Democrats' push for non-citizens to vote
- Boeing, SpaceX human spaceflight postponed to 2019