As you can imagine, James received heavy backlash from both diehard Trump supporters and the President himself, who went out of his way to take a personal attack on James and interviewer Don Lemon.
Trump finished the tweet with "I like Mike!" an apparent reference to favouring National Basketball Association legend Michael Jordan in a comparison with James as perhaps the best National Basketball Association player ever.
During the interview with Lemon, James talked about how sports can bring people together and mentioned he felt that Trump was using sports "to kinda divide us".
On Saturday afternoon, Melania Trump also issued a surprising, positive statement about James, but did not reference her husband.
However, Jordan also expressed support for James.
"I believe the president is kind of trying to divide us", James said. "I like Mike!", his tweet read.
Mr Trump derided the intelligence of one of the nation's most prominent African-American men in a late-night tweet. In September 2017, James called Trump a bum after he rescinded an invitation for the Golden State Warriors to celebrate their championship with a visit to the White House.
Prior to Buss, Jordan also voiced his support of James.
The Cleveland Cavaliers star has repeatedly clashed with the President, and on Monday said he would refuse to ever sit face to face with him.
In choosing her official first lady platform, Trump picked something that involved teaching kindness on social media, something her husband clearly does not practice, even though she continues to face widespread criticism for that decision amid cries of hypocrisy.
Trump is holding a campaign-style rally in Lewis Center, Ohio on Saturday night.
Though Jordan hasn't played in years, fans have endlessly argued about which athlete is better on the pro-basketball court - James or Jordan.
- Urban Meyer says he reported 2015 incident of alleged abuse by assistant
- Sixth `Mission Impossible' Tops Box Office Results Again
- Tristan Thompson and Draymond Green Made Peace After Altercation
- Warning as Europe's heat nears record
- Manafort trial day 4: Accountant concedes possible wrongdoing, Manafort's double life
- Karunanidhi, Indian political icon, dies at 94
- Everything you need to know about the Saudi Arabia-Canada fallout
- Rouhani: Iran can not talk with United States while under sanctions
- Ernesto Valverde to decide Yerry Mina Barcelona future Jordi Mestre
- Largest wildfire in California history