But despite the high chance of Boateng leaving, Ribery and Alaba both want him to stay put at the Allianz Arena.
Jose Mourinho, who is said to be a massive admirer of the Brazilian, is said to be hoping to reunite with the player before deadline day, which is 9 August for English teams.
United lined up a number of top quality centre-backs and midfielders across the continent but have failed to lure in any major big name signing so far.
Boateng was one of nine centre backs recommended to Mourinho and Woodward, United's executive vice-chairman, by the club's scouting department towards... There is also no indication at this stage that Pogba is willing to agitate for a transfer.
BILD in Germany are reporting today that the French Champions may be about to jump to the head of the queue for Boateng with the defenders future set to be resolved in the next couple of days.
The Mirror have reported that the deal could potentially be worth around £45m, including add-ons.
Marcus Rashford and Victor Lindelof returned for United on Sunday after their post-World Cup break, although the visitors lost Eric Bailly to injury after the interval following a collision with Serge Gnabry.
"Finally, it's over. Finally, such a hard pre-season is over", Mourinho told mufc.com. "We play for points and it's with the players we have", Mourinho told MUTV.
"Mourinho is the best manager I've ever worked with", he declared.
"Why? Because it's closed for a month, where he can only think about football". A big season for him awaits. "He always wanted it", Mourinho said of Rashford's switch from 19 to 10.
Pogba, a key member of the French team that won the World Cup in Russian Federation last month, was part of United's youth set-up but, short of first-team opportunities, opted to join Juventus in 2012.
- Boeing, SpaceX human spaceflight postponed to 2019
- Ernesto Valverde to decide Yerry Mina Barcelona future Jordi Mestre
- Largest wildfire in California history
- Everything you need to know about the Saudi Arabia-Canada fallout
- Musk says he may take Tesla private and shares roar
- Sixth `Mission Impossible' Tops Box Office Results Again
- Karunanidhi, Indian political icon, dies at 94
- Rouhani: Iran can not talk with United States while under sanctions
- China, ASEAN Agree On Draft South China Sea Code Of Conduct
- Bolton denies USA involvement in Maduro assassination plot