Luka Modric returned to training at Real Madrid on Wednesday (Aug 8) along with five other World Cup players, against a background of contradictory rumours about his future. "A new stage is starting for me, and I am really happy to start this new stage in my career and my life". But he is also sad because I have left as we had become very close there. "I'm just going to be myself and try to give my best to the club".
The seven-year deal certainly puts Chelsea in a position of strength which had been lacking with outgoing Courtois.
While the deadline for Premier League transfers closed on Thursday evening, clubs in Spain are still free to complete deals until the end of August.
Asked about Kepa after Chelsea's pre-season win over Lyon on penalties on Tuesday, Blues boss Maurizio Sarri said: "I saw him one year ago".
It was a hard period for the London club after many headlines generated had to do with their star players leaving. If they'd done all a little sooner, I'm sure they would have saved some Chelsea fans' hearts.
Courtois, who played three years with Atletico, said he still isn't in top form following the World Cup, but will be ready to play in the Super Cup if needed.
They then managed to secure a loan deal for Mateo Kovacic from Real Madrid, with Courtois heading in the other direction.
"I had an Iker jersey from a Madrid-Anderlecht game in the 2002 Champions League, I think I was 10 years old".
- Melania wades into Lebron James, Donald Trump feud
- Urban Meyer says he reported 2015 incident of alleged abuse by assistant
- Gates, star witness against Manafort, concludes testimony
- Thomas recalls influence of Tiger's 2000 US PGA win
- Chelsea confirm signing Kepa Arrizabalaga on seven-year contract for £71.6m
- Special counsel's star witness testifies he committed crimes with Paul Manafort
- Aftershock measuring 6.2 is third quake to hit Lombok in week
- U.S. sets date for additional China tariffs
- Melania praises LeBron James after Trump insults National Basketball Association star
- Everything you need to know about the Saudi Arabia-Canada fallout