Hurricane John advanced northwestward along Mexico's western coast Wednesday, causing heavy rainfall and high surf on parts of the Baja California Peninsula while on a forecast path that would keep its centre well away from land. It had maximum sustained winds of 50 miles per hour (85 kph) and was heading west-northwest at 13 miles per hour (20 kph).
The Category 4 storm is moving westward at 16 miles per hour. While John is expected to pass west of Baja, an increase in storm size or an eastward jog in the track could bring tropical storm conditions to the region.
At 8 a.m. EDT (1200 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Ileana was located near latitude 15.7 degrees north and longitude 101.2 degrees west.
John was centered about 335 miles (540 kilometers) southwest of the Mexican port of Manzanillo early Monday, with maximum sustained winds of 60 mph (95 kph).
A tropical storm warning has been posted for the Big Island of Hawaii, where tropical-storm-force winds (39-plus mph) are expected Wednesday, especially downslope from mountains, across elevated terrain, over headlands and through gaps.
Surf: Swells generated by Hector are forecast to reach southeast and east shores of some islands late Tuesday.
Residents along the affected shores should be alert for high and risky surf conditions.
"The tropical Atlantic remains anomalously cool", he said in his updated outlook, and it has been "very dry". Combined with high tides, this could lead to some overwash of low-lying coastal areas and perhaps some beach erosion.
Subtropical storms usually have winds that are spread out farther from the center, and they are often asymmetric.
Remember that the forecast track and intensity can and will change.
- Karunanidhi, Indian political icon, dies at 94
- LeBron's OH school would welcome visit from first lady
- Everything you need to know about the Saudi Arabia-Canada fallout
- Virat Kohli questions mentality of Indian top order
- 'Bachelorette:' Garrett Yrigoyen, Becca Kurfin talk about future after finale
- Former Inter Player Kovacic Talks About Modric & His Move To Chelsea
- Amid Saudi Arabia dispute, Canada says will always defend human rights
- Melania wades into Lebron James, Donald Trump feud
- The Network posted a promotional video of the Samsung Galaxy Note 9
- USA imposes sanctions on Russian Federation over Skripal poisonings in Salisbury