As the clock passed the hour mark, Claude Puel made a pair of changes, bringing Vardy on for Maddison and new arrival Rachid Ghezzal for Amartey, with Mourinho subbing Markus Rashford for Lukaku shortly after.
Victory in the Premier League opener was a much-needed shot in the arm after weeks of doom and gloom, with summer target Harry Maguire's inclusion in the Foxes' line-up serving as a reminder of what they missed.
The France playmaker then continued to impress as the first half wore on at Old Trafford, leading his team-mates by example.
It was Shaw, who just like Pogba has endured tough times with Mourinho, who was the unlikely late hero for United.
"I would have liked that they had signed many more world-class players", he told ESPN Brasil.
So how would Man United line up if Mourinho had landed the players he desired?
"One lie repeated 1,000 times is still a lie, but the perception of people is that it's true".
Marcos Rojo is another player who sustained an injury while representing his country in Russian Federation so he'll miss the season opener along with summer signing Diogo Dalot as he's still recovering from knee surgery that he underwent in April.
This was vintage Jose and similar to several displays from United last season.
"I'm going to enjoy this season".
Pogba added: "It's my style of taking penalties, I've always done. It depends on the music, but words for me don't come easy".
"You have to keep it in mind, but you have to keep working to get better and better because I am still quite young".
After a brilliant World Cup, Perisic is now worth nearly double that figure.
It comes after a summer during which Pogba's relationship with Mourinho has appeared strained. It will be interesting to see how Paul Pogba turns Manchester United fortune this season.
What lies ahead for Jose and United?
Fans have been disappointed in the owner's apparent refusal to seriously back their manager as Mourinho had made it clear how many players he wanted to bring in.
- Aftershock measuring 6.2 is third quake to hit Lombok in week
- Rool Just Got Announced as Playable in Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Musk says he may take Tesla private and shares roar
- Indonesian rescuers struggle to reach cut-off villages after deadly quake
- United States to slap sanctions on Russian Federation over nerve agent attack
- Manchester United tell Jose Mourinho to develop players at Old Trafford?
- Gates, star witness against Manafort, concludes testimony
- Largest wildfire in California history
- Hurricane John weakens a little off Mexican coast
- Oil steady as concern over Iran sanctions offset weak Chinese imports