The manager, however, celebrated on the touchline after defender Luke Shaw directed home his first senior goal to put the result out of reach after an excellent through ball from Juan Mata. "I think we are more head coaches than managers", he said.
"(Picking Pogba) was not hard, the decision belonged to him. But, of course, in the second half, I had Andreas Pereira and Fred both with a yellow card.
In another dig at the club's lack of spending, he added: 'We played against a good team.
The Portuguese gave a firm hint that three points did not fully assuage his feelings about United's modest transfer activity.
Croatia global Kovacic will bolster the options available to new Blues boss Maurizio Sarri in central areas, moving in the opposite direction to Belgium goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who completed a £35million move to the Santiago Bernabeu on Thursday.
"We played against a team that invest more than us".
While United and other Premier League teams in England will not be able to bring in players after August 9, they can still sell players to other teams around Europe until August 31. Forget the name, forget the history, forget the shirts, every team is a good team and every match is hard'.
"I think Mr [Richard] Scudamore must be happy because it's a good way to start the Premier League".
"I am not confident, and the market closes today, so it's time, at least for me, to stop thinking about the market because the market will be closed". It's over, finished, the market is closed and no more talk about it.
Mourinho is desperate for a centre-back with Harry Maguire still believed be keen to switch Leicester for the Red Devils, just a year after his £17m move from Hull City.
The striker played considerably fewer minutes in Russian Federation than his team-mate but Puel explained his selection was a balancing act.
The two-time Champions League victor added: "At this point I'd just say we need to win". "All my players did not have 90 minutes in their legs and bodies".
Maguire and Leicester's main goal threat, Jamie Vardy, may not start having just returned to pre-season training this week after their exertions in Russian Federation. "We've had success with him a lot in the past and I know him very well".
"It was not a good result, but it was a good performance", Puel said.
- Meghan Markle’s Birthday Gifts: What She Can and Can’t Keep
- Erdogan warns of campaign against Turkey as lira plummets
- Dolphins, Eagles players protest during national anthem
- Amid Saudi Arabia dispute, Canada says will always defend human rights
- United States to slap sanctions on Russian Federation over nerve agent attack
- USA imposes sanctions on Russian Federation over Skripal poisonings in Salisbury
- Aftershock measuring 6.2 is third quake to hit Lombok in week
- Kovacic determined to leave at all costs — Real Madrid
- Mourinho 'angry and frustrated' after Man Utd centre-half signing flop
- Hurricane John weakens a little off Mexican coast