Emery has worked hard to revamp the squad he inherited from Arsene Wenger with five new arrivals coming through the door this summer so Bernd Leno, Stephan Lichtsteiner, Sokratis, Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi should all be in the squad against City.
Aaron Ramsey, Granit Xhaka and Mesut Ozil - who notably wore the armband in a pre-season friendly - are the others, though it is Cech who will take on captain duties against City.
"This morning, I give them [the squad] the official captain".
"We started our careers as coaches at maybe the same kind of time and his career, statistically, is better than me also but I like more playing against him because it demands more from the preparation, to try to win against his teams".
Koscielny, now out with an ankle injury, captained the side in place of Per Mertesacker last season. He spoke of the need for Arsenal to show fresh energy and a keen understanding of his tactics, and for supporters to rally around the new approach. "Confidence in our work, confidence in himself", Emery said. Also, I think that it's a big and great match that we can play to start this season. "With the same players and also our new players with us, and with a new culture and new staff". "You need building it up in time".
For now, Emery is simply looking to build an identity and improve.
"The past is very important in this club, with the people that were working here".
"My first message is clear: think about each match". I want those two moments to feel the same for all players. I repeat: "organised, then play". "And then when we have the space, to be aggressive going forward", Emery told Sky Sports.
- Another strong aftershock hits Indonesia's Lombok island
- Takeaways From Day 8 of the Paul Manafort Trial
- The Network posted a promotional video of the Samsung Galaxy Note 9
- Two cops among 4 killed in Canada shooting
- United States to slap sanctions on Russian Federation over nerve agent attack
- Virat Kohli questions mentality of Indian top order
- Chelsea confirm signing Kepa Arrizabalaga on seven-year contract for £71.6m
- West Nile Virus found in mosquitoes in Perth County traps
- USA imposes sanctions on Russian Federation over Skripal poisonings in Salisbury
- Amid Saudi Arabia dispute, Canada says will always defend human rights