However, the English weather dramatically changed on Thursday morning and continuous drizzle forced the officials to abandon the first day's play.
Anderson's haul of 5-20, that leaves him just one wicket short of becoming the first bowler to take 100 in Tests at Lord's, did the majority of the damage.
After rain washed out the opening day without a ball being bowled, England skipper Joe Root today won the toss and elected to field against India.
Virat Kohli was involved in an almighty mix-up that led to Cheteshwar Pujara being run out as India were skittled for 107.
After a light shot to point from Pujara, Kohli began running to the unsafe striker's end, but soon changed his mind as he realised the risk of the situation.
After Pujara's dismissal, the whole social media went abuzz as the fans and experts slammed Kohli for his role in getting Pujara out. India also make two changes: Cheteshwar Pujara is in for Shikhar Dhawan, who is yet again dropped during an overseas series, and the mystery spinner Kuldeep Yadav replaces Umesh Yadav.
Thereafter, wickets began to fall in heaps with Hardik Pandya (10) falling to Woakes before left-armer Sam Curran took Dinesh Karthik's (1) stumps for a ride.
Seasoned quick James Anderson took both the Indian wickets.
Pujara and Kohli were involved in a run out which led to Pujara's wicket and turned the match in England's favour.
The partnership has given England a good chance of moving into a 2-0 lead over India in the five-match series.
Debutant Ollie Pope looked impressive from the outset flicking his second ball for a boundary wide of square leg. Virat Kohli did the right thing by bringing on Kuldeep Yadav ahead of Ravichandran Ashwin but the wristspinner was nowhere close to his best.
In the ongoing Test, he couldn't perform to expectations and got out cheaply for 23 runs to Chris Woakes, who made a comeback following his injury layoff.
- Erdogan warns of campaign against Turkey as lira plummets
- Amid Saudi Arabia dispute, Canada says will always defend human rights
- All the Best Memes & Reactions — Space Force Logo
- Rool Just Got Announced as Playable in Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Another strong aftershock hits Indonesia's Lombok island
- Two cops among 4 killed in Canada shooting
- Gary Woodland retains lead at PGA Championship
- What Emery expects on his Premier League bow against City
- Manchester United tell Jose Mourinho to develop players at Old Trafford?
- Spieth seeks Career Slam, end to win drought at 100th PGA